Monday, January 5, 2015

Monday, Monday

Another week starts, and life goes back to (semi) normal.  School, work, home...it's our routine, yet it's never exactly the same, is it?

Folks don't like Mondays.  They see it as the end of the weekend, the beginning of the work week, back to the old grind, etc, etc.  I don't know why people look at beginnings in such a negative way.  Yes, you will go back to work, or school, or whatever it is that you do when the week begins.  Why is that bad?  Most people like habits, whether they be good or bad.  Your "day off" is over?  Another one will come.  We have to try and be more positive.  Be thankful that you're alive.  Look forward to what can be accomplished.  Set goals, make lists, try something new.  Mondays can be wonderful with the right perspective.

I got up bright and early, knowing that our school week was starting up again and that the semester will be over in less than 3 weeks.  There is plenty to be done, and I'm ready for it (I hope!).  I made breakfast, then went over my son's schedule again.  It was pretty full - 5 classes for today.  We started with music history.  It was a review for his unit exam on Renaissance music.  He actually did pretty well, considering he hasn't even thought about the Renaissance for the past two weeks.  We then went on to English, where he's finishing up his thesis on Letter From Birmingham Jail.  There was a tutorial to watch first, and again he seemed to remember everything that had been taught in the last month.  Yay!  From there he went to his Algebra class, where the teacher was doing a review for his unit test.  He admitted that he didn't remember anything.  Nothing.  I couldn't believe it - math is his favorite subject, especially algebra.  Hmm.  That would require some review time.

While he listened to his algebra class I made smothered pork chops and buttered noodles for lunch.  I like making things that are quick and easy, and this is one of those recipes.  While I had lunch I was looking up ways to reduce the bags under my eyes.  I've been noticing them lately, not dark circles but kind of baggy eyes, and no, they are not attractive.  One video I watched talked about the reasons why we get bags under our eyes:  lack of sleep, and not drinking enough water.  Well, I can understand lack of sleep; having been sick the past few days I wasn't sleeping as I should.  And yes, thinking about it now, I realize I haven't been drinking as much water as I should.  So I'm going to make some adjustments to make sure I get back into a more steady routine.  I think with the holidays, Grandma's passing, and all my sinus congestion (which is greatly reduced today, praise The Lord) my routines have kind of gone out the window.  With school starting back up my hope is that I can schedule myself better with my meals, water intake and sleep.

As my son and I got back to his essay, I got a text from my sister.  My brother was in a car accident.  He's fine, but he says his car was totaled.  It was one of those moments when your heart stops for a split second even though the words "He's fine" are staring right at you.  My brother hasn't been driving very long; he's lived in New York all his life, and with public transportation in the city it's really not necessary to own a vehicle.  He's moving to Ohio in the next few months, though, so he got his license and purchased a car, which he will now have to repair or replace.  I'm just thankful the car took the brunt of the hit - a truck side-swiped him, then left the scene.  I'm sure he's shook up, but he's alive.  That's what matters.

School took 7 hours today, partly because there was a lot of work to be done, and partly because my son was having trouble getting back to the swing of things.  I'm hoping tomorrow is better.  He took a pretest for algebra and got a C.  Not very good, but it showed him where he needs work, and why it's important to check your work.  We will most likely work on math and science the most this week, along with finishing his PE wellness plan assignment, due on the 16th.  For now, I'm gonna shower, then I'm gonna give myself a mani/pedi.  It's been a busy day, and I need some relaxation.  Good night!

No comments: