Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Wacky Wednesday

Why is today a Wacky Wednesday?  Because this morning the weather took a strange turn.  Yesterday it was in the 80's, hot and muggy.  Not overly muggy like in the summer, but after our run I felt stickier than I had the past month or so.  This morning when I got up it was 70 degrees, but the humidity was gone.  In its place was a cool breeze, cool enough to turn off the a/c and open the windows.  What's more, it's supposed to get down into the low 50's tonight after weeks of warm weather.  You just never know what to expect!

Our weather in South Florida has remained warmer than the rest of the state.  North Florida has freeze warnings in effect, and Central Florida has wind advisories.  My kids lament the fact that we don't have the different seasons like in other parts of the state, but I have no problem staying in the warmth.  I did the cold weather all my growing up years, and I have to say, I don't miss it.  I don't mind a little bit of cold; mid to upper 50's is fine with me.  The lowest I can accept is 49 degrees, and that's pushing it.  Not that I enjoy the heat and humidity; heat is fine, but humid weather I can do without.  I like it when it's warm and dry, and my hair looks fantastic.  Like today!

I woke up at 6:30 this morning, spent some time with The Lord, then got moving in the kitchen.  I remembered to take out some chicken tenders (yay!) so I got the crock pot out and started on my chicken taco chili.  This chili is loaded with beans, tomatoes, corn, onion, green pepper, and garlicky goodness.  It's healthy and tasty, and the best part is that I throw it all in the crock pot and walk away!  It takes 10 minutes to get all the ingredients in my slow cooker, 4 hours to cook, 5 minutes to shred the chicken, and before I can say, "Man that smells good!" our meal is ready :-).  I serve this with tortilla chips and nothing else.  It's a complete meal all in itself.

My son E spent the morning either on the computer listening to his classes or in the bathroom.  His colon was overly active today (yeah, I know, TMI.  Realities of life).  His music class is done, so all he had this morning was science and algebra.  Only his two most important classes :P.  E is really good at math, but he's not good at taking tests.  He gets overwhelmed really fast.  Science is a tricky subject: as in, the exams have lots of trick questions.  My son doesn't think in those terms; he's very black and white.  Multiple choice is fine with him, so long as there are 3 clearly wrong answers and one clearly correct one.  When there's 2 wrong answers and 2 possible answers, he gets exasperated.  The best thing he can do is be as prepared as possible, so that's what we're trying to do.

While he was doing science I did some cleaning and putting away laundry, then when algebra started I took a shower and washed my hair.  I knew that, with his tight schedule and Awana starting back up tonight, I might not have time to get myself ready.  While he ate lunch I did my makeup and dried my hair.  I've been considering whether to get my hair cut again or let it grow out some more.  My hair has been looking amazing.  It's responding really well to the OGX products.  I find that it doesn't get greasy as quickly as it used to, and when I dry it there's not a lot of frizz.  It also still has a lot of body the next day after I've slept on it.  Thanks to my amazing hair stylist, my hair is growing out beautifully.  It almost seems like a waste of great hair to get it cut.

Another thing I've noticed, is that I'm not taking nearly as long getting my makeup done, and it's looking better every time.  I think with all the products I got I was having a hard time deciding what to use, and I was going back and forth on whether to use this color or that, or this powder or the other.  I'm getting a good feel about how I want to look and the steps to achieve it, so makeup application is much smoother.  In all my experimenting I've found out things I never knew about myself.  For instance, I would never, ever purchase products with a peach undertone.  I was certain I needed pink undertones because that's what my mother uses and my skin is like hers.  Well, with some of the kits I've gotten from Bare Minerals there have been peachy tones, and I went ahead and gave them a try.  They work 100 times better on my skin than the pinks!  I made the erroneous assumption that whatever works for my mother must work for me because, hey, she's my mother.  The reality is, I have some olive in my skin which I inherited from my father.  I realized this when I got color-matched for foundation, and the color that works for me is medium beige, which is a neutral.  The pink foundation would have looked ridiculous on me, but the golden is too yellow.  I'm in between.  My daughter made the same mistake; she got medium beige because that's what I got.  When she went to Macy's with her dad to get her Christmas present, she got color-matched at the Bare Minerals boutique in the store.  She's a golden medium.  It works wonders for her rosacea because the yellow counteracts the redness in her skin.  Lesson learned:  always get color-matched.  Don't assume anything.

My oldest son texted me just after lunch.  He is so sick.  He's achy all over and has a fever.  Unfortunately he took Aleve, which he can only take every 8 hours, and the fever was back after 6.  I know he's a grown man (he'll be 28 years old in March), but he is still my baby, and knowing he's sick puts me in mom-mode.  Except when he's at work there's nothing I can do for him.  It's times like these I wish they were all little again and I could take care of them like a mommy should.  He got home and told me he'd taken ibuprofen.  I told him to get some rest, but he was sure he wouldn't be able to because he hadn't been able to fall asleep the night before thanks to the aches and pains in his body.  E and I left for church, and when I came home he was fast asleep on the recliner.  *Sigh*  When are they gonna accept that mama knows best?

Awana was great tonight.  I had a new girl join my group; her mom is a sweet friend of mine and I was excited to see her daughter moved up to T&T.  Unfortunately, most of my girls didn't come today.  There was the new girl and one other girl, and that was all for the third graders.  We joined the fourth grade girls and had book time with them.  After that it was our welcome back ice cream party!  The kids were so happy to get ice cream; I wonder if the parents were equally enthused about their precious little ones getting loaded with sugar?  Those kids will be bouncing off the walls for next few hours, LOL.

As we were leaving I noticed that it was cooler outside than when we'd left.  It's already 69 degrees.  It'll be interesting to see just how low our temperatures get tonight.  Guess it's time to break out the warm jammies ;-).  Good night, sleep tight.

No comments: