Saturday, March 14, 2015

Product Review: Complexion Rescue

Back in February I got Bare Mineral's new product, Complexion Rescue.  It's a combination of a BB cream, a CC cream, and a tinted moisturizer.  I had tried the sample that was sent to me and I liked the feel of it, so I decided it was worth purchasing.  I've been using it for over a month now, and while it took me awhile to figure out the best way to use it, I have to say it has quickly become a favorite in my makeup collection.

The first couple of times I tried using Complexion Rescue as a tinted moisturizer on its own, I wasn't thrilled with it.  It is very hydrating, which my dry skin loves, but it left my face looking very shiny.  It also felt tacky, which isn't a good thing when you're trying to put other stuff on, like bronzer or blush.  I began using it as a primer for the Bareskin foundation instead, and I really liked it for that.  It made my liquid foundation last longer, and I could use less of it because Complexion Rescue is tinted.  But it bothered me that I couldn't use it the way I'd originally intended.  I had bought Complexion Rescue so that I could use it on days when I didn't want to wear a face full of makeup, but I also didn't want to look like I'd just rolled out of bed.  Days like when I'm running errands or going to the grocery store.  I was upset that it didn't want to work that way.

What I didn't realize, was that I was treating the product like a foundation, which it isn't.  Complexion Rescue is marketed as "a tinted hydrating gel cream."  In other words, it's a tinted moisturizer with some added bonuses, but it's still a moisturizer.  I had to treat it like a moisturizer.  When I apply moisturizer after washing my face, I always wait 20-30 minutes before applying makeup.  This is because the moisturizer needs time to absorb into the skin.  If I tried to put makeup on immediately after putting on moisturizer, I'd have a sloppy, cakey mess.  For Complexion Rescue to work, I had to do the same thing.  Once I modified my routine, I began to see the results I'd been hoping for.

This is my makeup routine when I use Complexion Rescue:  Step one, I always cleanse and moisturize my face.  No artist would think to paint a beautiful painting on a dirty canvas!  Step two, moisturize.  If I'm going to be out and about, I use a moisturizer with SPF, like Olay Complete.  Step three, let the moisturizer set for at least 20 minutes.  A moisturizer with SPF could take even longer, but since my skin is normal to dry it tends to soak up the moisturizer pretty quick.  Step four, apply Complexion Rescue.  I've tried doing it with my fingers (ended up using too much), my perfecting face brush (okay but not the best), and ultimately with my Real Techniques buffing brush (winner!).  Step five (and this one is important), wait again for at least 20 minutes so the product can be absorbed.  This step made all the difference!  After 20 minutes, my skin didn't look shiny nor did it feel tacky.  I was able to finish up my makeup in just a few minutes.

The rest of my makeup routine is simple: I put on some powder concealer (I use Bare Minerals Summer Bisque), and finish it off with mineral veil, which is Bare Minerals' finishing powder.  I feel like this is key in helping Complexion Rescue last longer.  After that I can add bronzer, blush, eye makeup, whatever I feel like wearing that day.  Or I can add nothing at all.  It leaves my skin looking and feeling so fresh and youthful, that it can stand alone.

My thoughts on Complexion Rescue:

Pros:  If you have dry skin, this product will be your best friend.  It is so hydrating!  My skin is in love with Complexion Rescue.  It goes on very smoothly, and while it isn't anywhere near full coverage (I would say light to medium at most), it does a great job of hiding my pores, which is a definite plus!  It also lasts - I used it in the morning to go to a bible study class, then came home and cleaned the yard, mowed the grass, and scrubbed the patio floor and furniture.  When I went in to take my shower, I was shocked to see how well my makeup had held up!  I've never looked so pretty while doing yardwork!  It also kept my skin protected, thanks to the SPF of 30 that it contains.

Cons:  If you have oily skin, this product may not be for you.  If you have lots of blemishes or scarring, this product might not be for you.  And, it's pricey - $29 for 1.18 fl. oz.  I waited till I had some points from Ulta so I could get it at a cheaper price, which I'd recommend.

Would I buy Complexion Rescue again?  In a heartbeat!  It's a perfect addition to my makeup routine, one that is good for my skin and makes me feel oh so pretty.  What's not to love?

No comments: