Saturday, February 7, 2009

Day before construction began...

...the bathroom looked like this:

This is the view when entering the bathroom. Behind me is the master bedroom; the doors shown on either side are the master closets (mine on the left, hubby's on the right). Bathtub straight ahead.

This is the tile area in front of the tub. While not too visible in this pic, the tiles are cracked pretty badly. There's a crack that runs from the vanity (on the left hand side) to the toilet (on the right hand side). It makes the house look much older than it's 9 years.

Here's the tub. No, it doesn't have jets or anything fancy like that. We thought about it for a very short time. Truth is, those tubs are expensive, and neither one of us would probably use it for more than a couple times, so it wasn't a wise investment for us. This tub will stay; it works just fine. The faucets will change, though, to something that works with the new tiles.

Here's the vanity area (and me taking the pic in the background, heehee). The vanity is very vanilla, and I hate the fact that the sink is over to one side. Rather than make it more comfortable, it's just plain awkward. The jury is still out regarding double sinks, though. The plumbing is for only one sink, which means we'd have to pay extra to get the additional plumbing done, and I'm not sure it would be worth it. Hubby likes to be alone when he's brushing his teeth. We still have time to decide, though. Let's see what happens. We are keeping the mirrors. I like the 3-D effect I get with mirrors on three sides, especially when I'm doing my makeup. I may have frames made for the perimeter of the mirrors, if they aren't too expensive.

As you can see from the pic above, the toilet/bidet area is directly opposite the vanity. The tub is in the center. We're keeping both of these; they're in good condition and the color matches the tub, so purchasing new ones would be wasteful. We are changing some of the plumbing hardware that's a bit worn, though. Shouldn't cost more than $15, so it's worth it. We're also changing the toilet paper holder and towel rack to match the other accessories that are being put in, so that the design is cohesive. These items aren't very expensive but will give the bathroom a more put together look.
Contruction has started early; the men were here at 9:00 this morning. I can hear the demo and smell the dust. I've already swept the floor once; I'll be at it again shortly. The cap of dust on my bedroom furniture makes my skin crawl, but it won't help to clean it up yet. I'll probably do some dusting after they leave.
Stay tuned, more pics to come!!

No comments: