Friday, April 24, 2009

A Quick Review

Doesn't the week seem to fly by? I'm having trouble believing it's already Friday! Here are a few things that went on this week:

I'm still battling the lizard problem. Here in Florida we have little geccos (not Geicos) that are about 3-4 inches long. When we had our sweet dog Tobey, we had no lizard problem. Tobey was a soft-coated Wheaten terrier, and they're hunting dogs. We could count on him to keep critters out of the house. Since Tobey is no longer with us (and we miss him terribly!), I've noticed an occasional lizard in the family room. At first I didn't pay much mind to it, after all I live in Florida and it's to be expected. But it seemed like overnight they were in the house constantly, and not just one but two. My son's best friend suggested they may have laid eggs somewhere :-(. I did NOT like that idea. At. All. My son R didn't agree. As he was chasing one out of the house, he looked at the sliding glass doors and mentioned that maybe there was an opening small enough that they were getting in. Sure enough, a couple days later as I was looking down, I realized the little critters are getting in from UNDER the stationary glass door. UGH! I've informed my husband, and this weekend that opening WILL be caulked. The nerve of these little geccos!

My son E had fun this week. Wednesday his class went to see the new Disney movie, Earth. He said it was very interesting. Afterwards the class went to the park to have their lunches and play for awhile. He really liked that. Earth Day was also Daddy's birthday, but since he's been working so much we just had an ice cream cake and sang Happy Birthday. One of my hubby's salesmen had gall bladder surgery this week and my hubby has had to cover for him. Thursday was take your child to work day, and since he's in the third grade E was able to join his daddy in the work force, for which he's expecting to get paid :D. I guess he learned more than daddy intended him to.

Thursday I also went to meet with his teachers, yet again. E had brought his report card home, and I couldn't make heads or tails of it. I've been after the school to have him tested because I believe he's dyslexic. At first the teachers were calling me in telling me the problems they were having with E, and that he had a good chance of failing the FCAT, meaning he'd be retained in the third grade. I raised a big stink because I'd been telling his teachers since the 2nd grade that I suspected he had a learning disability and all they kept telling me was to practice more, read more, try harder. One of his teachers didn't seem to like the fact that I was going over her head. When we had the SST meeting with the school faculty, she made it seem as though he had some problems but they could easily be resolved. She doesn't agree with me that he needs additional help for dyslexia and has subtly fought me along the way. I noted this immediately when I got the report card. My son, who by his own teacher's admission is terrible at spelling and never passes a spelling test no matter how hard he studies, got an A in language arts. My son, who is struggling with reading comprehension, raised his reading grade to a C. His science teacher, however, gave him a D for her class. So I asked why E, who has always enjoyed science, had such a low grade. It seems that all the work they're doing now is reading and answering questions, and he's having a very hard time understanding what he reads. So how is it he raised his reading grade? His English teacher didn't show me the work that got him an A in language arts last marking period, but she showed me the work he's done since then till now. All D's and F's! How did he go from an A average to a D- average in just a couple of weeks? I'm getting a very bad feeling about this, and I intend to bring it up at the next SST meeting in early May. I have a suspicion the school doesn't want to have to pay for further testing, so they're trying to make him look good. I don't want a rose painted picture; I want the reality, because unless I know the reality I can't help him. I left there very dissatisfied but not discouraged. God will give me the wisdom and knowledge to do what's best for my son, that I'm certain of.

Today I got my hair done (see previous post) and I can't wait to go to my small group so the girls can see my new look! This is our last study of Really Bad Girls of the Bible. We've learned so much, not just from the book but from each other. I'm gonna miss this group, but we'll start up again in the fall. In the meantime, I'm bringing some snacks, and we'll have a fun and relaxing time together. Hope ya'll do too! Have a blessed weekend.

No comments: