Friday, August 7, 2009

The Week in Review

It's been a pretty quiet week, actually. After days of haziness and looking like it would rain, we finally got a quick shower this morning, before 6:00am. It's sunny out now, so I'm thinking it'll be another South Florida sunshiny day.

Monday was the most hectic day this week. We had the outside air conditioning unit replaced with a new, more energy efficient model. I was so thankful! Sunday morning when I got up I noticed the a/c was on but no cold air was coming out of it. It was set to 72 degrees but the house felt more like 82. My husband went outside to check it and found the unit wasn't running. I turned it off and turned on the fan, but that wasn't going to cut it. It has been in the 90's this past month, and the heat became so stifling I couldn't breathe. Mind you, I'm usually the one complaining the house is too cold, so for me to say it was hot, means IT WAS HOT!!! Because it was Sunday we needed to wait till the next day to get a repairman in. That night was awful! We thanked God for the times we do have a/c, and prayed for others who never have a/c (how can they live?!). Turns out a capacitor went out which caused the fan not to work, which caused the unit to overheat, which caused one of the lines to blow. This was the 2nd time this unit needed repair, and it was only 9 years old. Not only that, our electric bill is always over $200 in the summer because the unit is not very efficient. The new one is; our neighbor recently had his unit replaced (his had even more problems than ours) and he highly recommended these people to hubby. They not only replaced the outside unit, they hauled away the old one and cleaned the unit inside so that it looked brand spankin' new. It took them just over 2 hours to get all the work done, and we're very satisfied. The rest of the day we just enjoyed the coolness. Ahhh....

Now in my much cooler home, I was able to get a ton of household chores done on Tuesday. Tons of laundry and cleaning up, and when I was done, what a feeling of satisfaction! E and I went to the library, and I got 2 books: A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens, because the movie is coming out in November and I want to compare it to the actual book (finished it already; it's a small book), and Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. I'm really getting into the classic English literature. I like it much more than the books that are being written today.

Wednesday I attacked the family room. It takes me all morning to clean the family room because it's where we spend most of our time. I moved furniture, vacuumed furniture, vacuumed drapes, dusted all the furniture, and when I was done it looked like something out of a magazine (at least I thought so!). Let's see how long it lasts!

Thursday I went through our school supplies and made an inventory list. School starts August 24, and I was able to download the supply list off the school's website. Thankfully I have lots of the items needed. What I need to buy most is paper. E started work on a workbook that reviews third grade, to get him back into the swing of things before school starts. My little one is excited about going to school because a) he gets to see his school friends, and b) he gets new school supplies. Otherwise, he says he'd be glad to be homeschooled. We'll see where God leads in this respect.

So today, with God's blessing, we have planned the following: grocery shopping, school supply shopping, and growth groups tonight. I hope to post a review of tonight's study this weekend. This is the next-to-last study, and it's going to be powerful, I just know it.

So, even a not-so-busy week can be pretty busy. I'm thankful for all that was accomplished this week. Praying for an equally busy weekend!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

re: your comment

I am STILL laughing! But, I think it's great that people of "all ages" are reading my blog, and that we can be "blog buddies" despite how incredibly aged you are.

{snort}

I'm kidding. You're still quite youthful. I love you, don't beat me.