Monday, December 14, 2009

The Simple Woman's Daybook

For Today (My Birthday!), December 14, 2009...

Outside my window...it's a balmy 73 degrees, cool, not overly humid, just a lovely, sunny South Florida day.

I am thinking...I still can't wrap my mind around the fact that it's my birthday. Didn't I just have one of these last December?

I am thankful for...one more year of life with my family in which the Lord has taken such excellent care of us. I'm thankful for my husband who bought me a cool Blackberry phone over a month ago because he was getting ready for my birthday early. I'm thankful for my children who are all home right now, right where I want them to be. I'm thankful to my oldest son for the collection of classic movies on DVD (including some Jane Austen which I absolutely love), and my youngest son who got me the book "Sense and Sensibility" with his own money. I'm thankful my little girl got such good grades this semester (2 A's and 2 B's, including a B in physics which was a difficult class). I am so blessed.

I am going...to finish up Christmas shopping today, I hope. I try to never go this far into the month with loose ends but one gift had to wait till my daughter was back home.

I am wearing...one white and one purple tank top (the layered look), a pair of brown shorts and sandals. I'll change out of this in a little while.

I am remembering...the Christmas program at a local church this past Saturday. Even my son, who hates sitting for long periods of time, was fully engrossed and loved the songs and messages.

I am creating...well, nothing today. I get the day off 'cause it's my birthday. :-)

I am reading...Genesis for morning devotions, John for SOAP devotions, and I'm halfway through Anne of Avonlea.

I am hoping...to start baking this week. My neighbors get baked goods for Christmas which they always receive with a smile.

On my mind...the Christmas show the children will be putting on this coming Sunday. We rehearsed yesterday, and the children sound like angels. Even one of the teenagers, a young man about 18 years old who helps us out, was in tears because it was so beautiful. I know the Lord will be pleased to hear the children sing Happy Birthday to Him.

From the learning rooms...it's the last week of school, then 2 weeks vacation. My son is so excited!

I am noticing that...birthdays aren't nearly as exciting in my 40's as they were in my teens and 20's. I hope that's not a trend.

I am pondering these words..."Whoever walks with the wise becomes wise, but the companion of fools suffers harm." - Proverbs 13:20.

From the kitchen today...boneless turkey breast in the crock pot. It's like I'm cooking, only it takes 5 minutes to throw everything in the crock pot and have a delicious meal 5 hours later, so it's like I'm not cooking!

Around the house...I'll take it easy today and allow some pampering. ;-)

One of my favorite things...is hearing my 9 year old son sing Happy Birthday to me. It went like this: "Happy Birthday to you, you're a hundred and two. You look like a monkey and you smell like one too." How can you not love that?

A few plans for the rest of the week: baking for the neighbors, Happy Birthday Jesus party at Awana, Christmas party at Cub Scouts, library has Holidays Around the World this Friday, so as usual, plenty to do.

From my picture journal...roses I received from my lovely daughter.





Motherhood is the hardest, most rewarding job anyone could have. Thank You Lord for giving me the blessing of being a mom.

Wanna join in the fun? Visit Peggy at the Simple Woman's Daybook. God bless.

3 comments:

amber waves of grain said...

Happy, Happy Birthday to you! May your day be full of blessings! I enjoyed your son's rendition of the "Happy Birthday" song... kids. :)

Love Bears All Things said...

Happy Birthday!
I like to cook in the crockpot.

Enjoy your day,
Mama Bear

dtbrents said...

Happy Birthday. I hope you have a wonderful day. I love classic movies. I'm a big fan of Bette Davis and Joan Crawford movies. I love the ones you mentioned also. I watch them at least once a year. Have a great week. Doylene