Thursday, December 23, 2010

Thankful Thursdays

It's Thankful Thursday, and I'm thankful for unexpected miracles. Those are the best kinds!



I went by my mother-in-law's house this past Tuesday to pick up the turkey for Christmas Eve dinner. She keeps it in her freezer and I pick it up so I can defrost and roast it. My daughter was with me as we went out to the Florida room where my mother-in-law keeps an extra freezer. My daughter is home from college for Christmas. She's very understanding; she knows money isn't abundant right now and because of plans we have for next year we had to keep a strict budget when it came to gifts. As I was pulling the turkey out of the freezer, I heard A say, "Hey, look at this!" From behind a table she pulled out a guitar. Now, A is very musical. She plays acoustic, electric and bass guitar, along with keyboard and anything else she can get her hands on, so when she got hold of the guitar it didn't surprise me. I figured it was one of the grandkids' toys, but she seemed very interested. She asked her cousin about it, and was told the guitar belonged to her grandfather but it was broken. "What's broken about it?" she asked, and was told the guitar didn't work because it was missing strings. My daughter immediately said she would take the guitar home and try to fix it. Now I was surprised; why was she so insistent on fixing this guitar?



Well, it turns out the guitar was something my father-in-law picked up at Goodwill for $50. It's an Ibanez acoustic/electric with a built-in tuner. All it needed was new strings and batteries for the tuner, plus a good cleaning. It's in immaculate condition and sounds beautiful. It's also worth 6 times what my father-in-law paid for it! My hubby told his dad he'd pay him for it since no one else in the house plays guitar, which made him very happy, and my daughter gets a $300 guitar for Christmas which made her very happy. God is so wonderful! It's Jesus' birthday, and we're the ones that get the gifts. We are so blessed.


This month Thankful Thursdays is hosted by Iris at Grace Alone. Have a blessed Christmas.

No comments: