Saturday, August 13, 2011

August Challenge - Question 1

The first question for the August challenge is an interesting one, and I thought it would be a good one to tackle. Here it is:

How do you want to be seen in ten years? Think beyond just one area of your life-- really dig into socially, spiritually, physically, etc.

Well, let's see. For starters, 10 years from now I'll be 57 years old. *makes face* My son R will be 34, my daughter A will be 31, and my baby will be 21 years old. Wow. I have trouble seeing my older kids as adults now, I don't know about them in their 30's and my little guy a man.

How do I want to be seen in 10 years? I don't typically think of this, as I'm a firm believer in not worrying about tomorrow, as tomorrow has its own troubles, but focusing on the Kingdom (Matthew 6:33-34). But the question posed is how I'd like to be seen in 10 years, not what I'm planning. Because let's face it, I'm not in control of what my future holds, God is. So let's look at it from the perspective of who I would like to be as opposed to what my future plans are.

I think in 10 years I'd like to see myself in heaven! That may sound a bit morbid, but Jesus did say He would come again for His church (1 Thessalonians 4:17). It would be awesome if Christ came in the next 10 years! It would be the end of suffering, of tears, of pain. Oh what a glorious day that will be!

But since we don't know when that day is, if I'm still living here on earth, how would I like to be seen? First off, I'm hoping by then I'm a grandma! I'm not pushing my children to marry, and I want them to be with the one God has for them, but I would love to be able to hold my grandchildren 10 years from now, and play with them, and take them on trips to Disney World, and spoil them as only a grandma can. I've heard about the love of a grandma, but I believe it's one of those things you have to experience personally, and I'm looking forward to that!

With 3 children all grown up, I would like very much to be more involved in ministry and volunteer work. I think Americans live a sheltered life. We know there's poverty and disease and suffering out there, but we avoid looking at it or touching it ourselves. To alleviate the guilt we write out a little check and hope that will make enough of a difference. I'm not against donations, those are always welcome at any charitable organization, but I think it's not enough, at least not for me. I want to be hands-on. Whether that's building and/or repairing houses, or helping out at a food bank, or spending time reading to folks living in assisted living facilities, or any other of the many noble organizations that help folks in need, I would love for God to put me in a place where I can be used by Him to comfort others. That would bring me much more joy that having a fancy house, or a large bank account. It would be more fulfilling than taking trips or eating at expensive restaurants. If I can bring happiness to others, then I'll see the meaning of my own life all the more.

What about you? How do you see yourself in the next 10 years? Think about that today.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Surely Jesus will have returned by then! It just seems like it's so close!

In 10 years, Merika will be 18.. and graduated from homeschool! Hopefully, we I spend 10 more years on this earth, we'll still be allowed to homeschool (seems our rights keep going out the window)!