Monday, January 16, 2012

Move It Mondays

Happy Martin Luther King Day to all!  My son and I were discussing Dr. Martin Luther King and what would appear to be his untimely death.  Untimely to us, because we look at him as a man too young to die and who had so much still left to do.  But as I see it, his death brought incredible change to our nation.  After Dr. King was assassinated, many people realized how unjust racism is, how abhorrent to kill a man simply because he is of a different skin color.  I think folks looked at Dr. King's life, saw the injustice in his death, and were ashamed.  I believe it was necessary for Dr. King to die as he did, so that people would come to their senses.  Not all have, unfortunately, but we've learned much from Dr. King's life because of his death, and so neither his life nor his death were in vain.

Because of this day of observation of Dr. Martin Luther King's life, there is no school, which makes my young son very happy!  I think I'll take advantage and play some board games with him.  I have one load of laundry to put away, then the housework can wait till tomorrow.  Enjoy this special day, everyone!


1 comment:

Barb said...

Hi Arlene!

I couldn't agree with you more, Martin Luther King was an amazing human being, with so much to offer. His assassination was such a tragedy! I love that he was so service oriented, and that on this day, we have been asked to do service! Just think of all the service that could be done if every child and adult who got the day off - did a good deed!! Thank you for sharing your thoughts on a wonderful man!

Thank you for your kind words for me and my husband when we were going through such sad times - friends are such a blessing!

Hugs,
Barb