Thursday, February 23, 2012

Thursday Thoughts

I did something today that I'd never done before.  I cut the grass.  It had been a month since our lawn had last gotten mowed, and it was starting to look like a jungle behind the house.  I'd never operated the lawn mower, so I had to ask my oldest son R how to operate it.  He emailed me detailed instructions on how to put gas in the tank, how to get it started, and how to work it.  His instructions gave me the confidence to give it a try, and before I knew it I was working that machine like it was an old friend.  In doing so, I came once again to the conclusion that men make a big deal about nothing.  Using the lawn mower was no different that using a vacuum cleaner; less work, in the sense that I cut the grass and once I was done, I was done.  When I vacuum our wood floors, I then have to mop them clean, which is double the work.  Seems to me doing floors is a bigger chore and women complain about it less :P.

Of course I'm pretty tired now.  The yard is over 8500 square feet, plus I also mowed the areas in front of the house.  With that much grass to cut, it took me 2 full hours to get it all done.  It's very warm out today too; while the humidity is low (thank the Lord!) it's still in the 80s, and even the breeze was warming up by the time I finished.  Still, I feel great satisfaction knowing I was able to do this by myself, and did a good job of it.

Now, if I could only beat this allergy attack...

1 comment:

Mrs. O said...

Uh-oh! If you got an allergy attack while mowing the lawn, you might have the same allergy I have. I'm allergic to mold and I found out that mold spores live in grass and they are released into the air when the grass is mowed. You may have to start using a mask when you mow or teach E how to do it.