Wednesday, February 15, 2012

What's Going On Wednesday

I thought I'd give a mid-week recap of what's been going on around here.  First off, I'm starting to feel like I go to sleep in one place and wake up in another!  Last week we got rain almost everyday, and the days that weren't rainy were dark and dreary and muggy.  Then the clouds disappeared, and strong winds took over.  Our temperatures went from lower 70s each morning to upper 40s, and with the wind it felt even colder!  Gone was the humidity once the dry cold air set in.  That was the weather till yesterday, when it warmed up just a little.  Now today - it's HOT outside!  It was cool this morning, 59 degrees when we left the house, but now it's 78 degrees and it feels like the humidity is on the rise again.  This is the sort of weather we typically get at the end of March/beginning of April, not in February!  Will someone please tell me where I am?!

I had my pupils dilated yesterday, and the doctor said everything looked good, except for the fact that my optic nerve is tilted.  This didn't catch me by surprise.  Years ago another optometrist noticed the same thing, and sent me for testing with an ophthalmologist. His fear was that the tilting was a result of a tumor behind the nerve.   The tests took most of the afternoon, and were brutal.  They even did a sonogram of my eye, shining bright lights into my eyes while the pupils were dilated.  I thought I'd go blind!  In the end, I was told that yes, my optic nerve was tilted, but it appeared this was how it had formed and there was nothing causing it to tilt.  The ophthalmologist explained that this tilting is what causes my astigmatism.  In other words, my eyes are odd, just like the rest of me. ;)

Tonight's Awana is a special one.  It's Grand Prix night for T & T boys and girls!  For those who don't know, Awana is a ministry program aimed at helping children learn Scripture and bible lessons so they can develop spiritually and grow in their relationship with Jesus Christ.   This program is worldwide, and over 12,000 churches in the US participate in the program, including our church.  Each Wednesday night we meet for counsel time (a Bible teaching done by one of the leaders), book time (where the children memorize bible verses and do activities in their Awana books), and game time.  There's also other activities during the year, including tonight's Grand Prix.  The children purchase a small wooden car which they paint and decorate any way they like.  These are then raced to see which is the fastest.  Winners are chosen for speed and design, and these go on to compete on a state level.  My son E decorated his car in black and yellow, with monster truck stickers and crosses.  It looks really cool!  Whether they win or not, the children have a really good time, and that's what's important.

Weigh-in:  A couple of weeks ago I noticed I'd put on some extra weight.  Ten pounds to be exact.  :P  So I started tracking my calories and exercise on My Fitness Pal, and I'm happy to report a loss of 4.2 pounds so far!  It's not hard for me to lose weight once I get my eating back on track.  It's also not hard for me to lose control of my eating due to excess snacking, so it's important for me to be vigilant.

I'm hoping my glasses will be ready tomorrow for pick up.  They were ordered last week, and usually Walmart is on time with them.  It'll be a nice change from taking off my glasses whenever I want to read something or try to see something on the computer.

That's what's going on so far.  Hope everyone is having a great week!

2 comments:

momto8 said...

your ministry sounds like a great gift to the world!! contras on being a part of it. and good luck with everything going on with those eyes!!

Plant Seeds of Happiness said...

I LOVE Awanas!!! I want to start one up in the area we moved because the closest one is far away and my older kids grew up with it and got SOOOO much from it I still have the jewels and vests from them, working on getting my leader skills together.