Wednesday, January 16, 2013
Welcome to Wednesday and my Hodgepodge post courtesy of Joyce, From This Side of the Pond. Plenty to think about, so come give it a try.
1. Lake Superior University has once again published a list of words/phrases they think should be banished from the Queen's English...here's the list for 2013-
fiscal cliff, kick the can down the road, double down, job creators/creation, passion/passionate, yolo (an acronym for you only live once), spoiler alert, bucket list, trending, superfood, boneless wings, and guru
Which of these words/phrases would you most like to see banished from everyday speech and why. Go here to read more about how the words were chosen.
If I never hear the words "fiscal cliff" again it won't be too soon. They leave a bitter taste in the mouth.
2. When was the last time you rode a train? Where did you go?
Oh wow, it's been several years. I took the train to go downtown for jury duty, it was probably 3-4 years ago. The train system in South Florida is terrible. I have to drive about a half hour just to get to the closest train station.
3. Bagels-yay or nay? Favorite 'flavor'? Favorite topping?
I love bagels! Onion bagels toasted with butter are my favorite.
4. 'Tis the season of awards shows...if you could star in a movie already made which one would you choose?
I don't think I've ever thought of starring in a movie. I think I'll go with Pride and Prejudice. It would be interesting to play the part of Elizabeth Bennett.
5. The move towards single gender classrooms has been making the news in recent months....what say you? Do you think kids perform better if separated by gender and are taught differently or is that discrimination? If you're a parent, is this something you'd support in regard to your own children?
Separating by gender doesn't mean that students need different curriculum, at least I don't think it's necessary. Do boys and girls learn differently? I think they do. Girls mature faster than boys.
6. What's your favorite thing about staying in a hotel?
Um, leaving? I'm not a fan of staying at hotels. I don't hate it, but it's not something I look forward to.
7. Do you have a 'word' for 2013? What's the story behind your choice?
It's a bit soon to start labeling the new year. So far everything I've heard has been disappointing. I'm hoping things will start to look up soon.
8. Insert your own random thought here.
I took my daughter to the oral surgeon today, and it turns out one of those wisdom teeth is more problematic than we thought. The horizontally impacted tooth is bad enough, but the one on the other side is very close to the nerve. So close, that the dentist is having her get a CT scan to determine exactly where the nerve is in connection to the tooth before removing it. Damage to that nerve would mean having numbness in her jaw and lip for an undetermined amount of time, and it could even be permanent. My poor sweet daughter looked terrified at the thought, but we'll be praying the nerve is not as close as the x-rays portray.