Friday, October 16, 2009

Proverbs Thought of the Day

"Commit to the LORD whatever you do,
and your plans will succeed."
- Proverbs 16:3

I fell in love with this Bible verse the minute I read it. Just think: all I have to do is give my deepest desires to the Lord and my plans will succeed! That is just amazing beyond words.

So when the company I worked for began bankruptcy proceedings, I posted this verse in my office, where I could see it as I worked. I was going to look for another job, and I was going to succeed because I'd committed my job hunting to the Lord. He would get me the perfect job.

Of course, deep down in my heart I'd always wanted to be a stay at home mom and homemaker. Even as a young child, I never thought about being a teacher, or a nurse, or any of the standard "women's" professions. I'd wanted to be just like my mom. But I didn't voice that desire, because after all, how were we going to pay all our bills? I'd been working all through our marriage. To expect my husband to take care of the family's finances on his own would be selfish of me, wouldn't it? We couldn't live on just one salary. Though it was what I really wanted, I assumed it wasn't possible and went for option #2.

Here's the incredible thing: God can see beyond my words. He sees into my heart. He knew better than anyone what I really wanted. So when I committed my future to Him, He began putting everything in place so that my dream could be realized. 'Course, I didn't know that at first. It took a while before I realized what God was up to. It even shocked me a little. But once again, I remembered this verse, and committed to Him my desire to be a SAHM and homemaker. And here I am today, just what I wanted ever since I can remember. Successfully too, I might add. He has taken care of everything, in ways I could never have foreseen.

Is there something you want, deep in your heart, that you think is just impossible? With God, nothing is impossible. Give it to Him. Then step back and watch the greatness of God.

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

What a beautifully expressed post. I am blessed to also be a full time homemaker and mom. When I decided to stop homeschooling and we sent the boys to Christian school this year we suddenly had to find 1100.00 a month tuition! I began to look at job wanted ads but my heart was not in it. Afterall...who would be cooking their favorite meals and serving up nutirious snacks after school? How could I maintain the lovely little nest of ours if all my energy was going toward a job? Did they really all want to come hoem to piles of chores and laundry? We decided to try to see if we coudl actually make it financially and here is it mid october and we have been doing OK. God will bless this because it is His plan for me...and yes, it is exactly what I wanted to be when I grew up :)