Monday, October 12, 2009

The Simple Woman's Daybook

For Today, Columbus Day, October 12, 2009...

Outside my window...still hot and humid. I see the Northeast is getting cold, I see Minnesota is getting snow, but we are still stuck in a massive heat wave that is breaking records. What's more, we probably won't see any cooler temperatures till next week.

I am thinking...about tomorrow and the possibility of having to go downtown for jury duty. I won't know until after 5:00pm today if I have to report tomorrow morning or not.

I am thankful...because the Lord has placed some amazing ladies in my life, who love God and want to grow in wisdom. I'm thankful He is using me to lead this group in Bible study.

I am wearing...dark blue top, light blue capris and sandals. Come to think of it, it's the same thing I was wearing last Monday.

I am remembering...Samuel and how God spoke to him when he was just an 8 year old boy. God sees beyond our age into our hearts.

I am creating...a list of what to get ready in case I have to go in for jury duty tomorrow.

I am reading...Acts for morning devotions, John for SOAP devotions. E and I are studying the Webelos handbook and just finished Eddie the Dog Holder yesterday.

I am hoping...I don't get picked for jury duty. I know it's my responsibility as a citizen and all that; I just hate the thought of having to go downtown everyday. Traffic into the city is a nightmare.

On my mind...several worship songs.

From the learning rooms...E is in school today despite the fact that it's Columbus Day. For some reason the kids didn't get the day off. We're starting a science project that needs to be turned in next month before Thanksgiving. He was assigned to do a study on dishwashing liquids and which creates more suds.

I am noticing that...the books E and I have been reading together were written in the 1960's. They have words like "swell" which I have to stop and explain to my son. He thinks it's hilarious.

I am pondering these words..."Christopher Columbus sailed the ocean blue in 1492." Think of what a difference that voyage made in our history. The world literally changed for mankind, from the belief that it was a flat surface to the realization of the round planet that it really is.

From the kitchen...chinese style chicken stir-fry with white rice.

Around the house...I want to get as much done as possible so I don't have to think about it tomorrow if I'm in the courthouse.

One of my favorite things...is my comfy bed and my comfy pillow. Vacationing and staying in hotels is okay, but like Dorothy said, "There's no place like home."

A few plans for the rest of the week: I guess all my plans are on standby till I find out this afternoon whether I have to go to the courthouse for jury duty or not. Then of course it depends on whether I get picked to serve on a jury or not. I hate not being able to plan my week. It makes me feel disorganized.

From my picture journal...the teepee fire built at the Webelos camporee. The kids were mezmerized.



Wanna join in the fun? Visit Peggy at the Simple Woman's Daybook.

7 comments:

Trina said...

Happy Monday, I agree with you "There is no place like HOME."

LISA said...

Hi Arleen,'I have not been here in a while. I was nice to catch up and see what you have been up to. I hope you are spared jury duty. Also hoping this heat will break soon.
Have a great week, enjoy that cubscouting!

Jerralea said...

I love when you said, "God sees beyond our age into our hearts." So true!

Awesome picture of the campfire!

I hope you don't get picked for jury duty, yet if you do, I hope it's an interesting case!

Love Bears All Things said...

I haven't heard anyone mention Webelos in years.
I know how you feel about being called to jury duty. I did it many moons ago but hope I never have to again. Maybe you'll be spared.
I hope your week goes uphill from here.
Mama Bear

Samantha said...

Sounds like a swell week - I love having to take a moment to explain "old words" and watch my kids giggle over them.

Kristi said...

That sounds like a very fun experiment! My girls would have a hayday with that. My youngest loves bubbles!

I know this is an important day of remembrance, but as a child I never understood this Holiday. I always thought, "why did we give this guy his own holiday and reward him for finding the wrong country?" I didn't get it for a long time.

I hope you don't have to do jury duty either.

dtbrents said...

Oh no, the dreaded jury duty. We must all do out duty. I think there is no place like home myself. I love the picture. I hope you have a great week. Doylene