Sunday, October 18, 2009

Proverbs Thought of the Day

"The words of a whisperer are like delicious morsels;
they go down into the inner parts of the body."
- Proverbs 18:8

There's diabetes in my family. Both my grandmother and my father died in their mid-60's due to complications from diabetes. The saddest part to me was that my dad knew he was diabetic, yet he would sneak Snickers bars into the house and eat them in hiding, as though the only reason the sugar affected him was because he was being watched. Ultimately his weakness when it came to caring for his health caused his early death.

Since this type of diabetes is hereditary, I try my best to control what I eat, especially in regards to sweets. Yet I admit it's very difficult. If only cake, cookies and ice cream didn't taste so good! Then it would be easy to control myself. Instead I have to be strong and learn to say "no" when my taste buds want to say "yes".

Gossip is alot like sugar to a diabetic. It causes havoc in our lives, yet it's so hard to stay away from because it tastes so good. Every little secret is like a delicious morsel. It's just too hard to keep our ears away from it. Yet we know that in the long run, it's destructive to our spiritual and relational health. Why, then, do we keep going back to it? Because even though we know it's bad for us, the temptation is too great.

Gossip has some very serious consequences. Families are hurt by it. Friendships end because of it. Reputations are damaged by it. No one likes to be a victim of gossip, but everyone makes up excuses to listen to it. There's a Spanish saying, I don't like gossip but it entertains me. It's a vice; we know how harmful it is but we can't keep away from it.

What can we do? First off, think of what God has to say about spreading rumors. The Mosaic law was very clear about gossip: "Do not go about spreading slander among your people. Do not do anything that endangers your neighbor's life. I am the LORD." (Leviticus 19:16). God has a low opinion of gossipers, and warns us about them in Proverbs 20:19 - "A gossip betrays a confidence; so avoid a man who talks too much." Did you know that among the seven sins that God finds detestable in Proverbs 6:16-19, is one who sows discord in a family? That's what gossips do. They stir up trouble, whether in their own family or in God's family. They cause divisions, anger, and ultimately bring permanent damage. No wonder God calls these an abomination to Him.

Next, put yourself in the place of the victim. "What if that was me they were saying those things about?" Betcha it wouldn't be so appetizing. Especially when you consider that the person who is bringing the gossip to you might very well be taking stories of you to someone else. Gossip is like that; it's a wild fire that starts small and grows rapidly, destroying everything and everyone in its path. We don't want to be a part of anything that causes so much pain to anyone. The next time someone wants to bring you a "juicy piece of gossip," just remember that something that tastes that good can easily cause severe "heartburn" later on.

No comments: