Friday, May 14, 2010

I'm Getting the Hang Of This!

Mid-morning today, our internet stopped working. My son called our service provider, and after half an hour of trying to figure out the problem, it turned out there was a service outage in our area (how tech support didn't know this is beyond me). This meant I couldn't log my food into MyFitnessPal, so I had to manually keep track of my calories, sodium intake, and everything else. I decided I was just going to go by what I've learned so far, and eat accordingly.

Well, the internet finally came back online at 7:00pm (tech support told us it would be up again by 3:00pm. Guess that estimate was off). I quickly entered everything I'd eaten, and found that:

1 - I only went over by 40 calories, which means I estimated my calories well.

2 - I went over my carbs by 52 grams, but was under my allowable fat intake by 21 grams.

3 - I went over my protein intake by 9 grams, so again a good estimate. Most of this protein came from chicken.

4 - I was UNDER on my sodium intake by 1,387 grams! That's huge!!

5 - I doubled my recommended fiber intake, which is actually great.

After 3 weeks recording and reviewing my nutrition numbers, I can see that I'm learning how to manage my foods and eat healthier by instinct. I'm so thankful! Hopefully in time this will become second nature. I still have much to learn, but I know I'm on the right track!

No comments: