Thursday, May 6, 2010

Thankful Thursdays

"If My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land."
- 2 Chronicles 7:14

Today is the National Day of Prayer. It's a day in which we stop and pray for our nation, our leaders, our military, our cities and towns, communities, neighborhoods, friends, family, home; anything and everything. I'm thankful for this special day, but I ask, is one day enough?

There are those who would see the National Day of Prayer eliminated. US District judge Barbara Crabb claims this is an unconstitutional call to religious action. It is said to violate the First Amendment (read about it here). Yet when we stop and look at the state of our nation, the state of our economy, terrorism, corruption, crime, shouldn't we be praying MORE?! Shouldn't we seek God's wisdom to correct these issues, since obviously men on their own haven't done a very good job?

I'm thankful for prayer. I'm thankful that here in America we can pray, publicly or privately. I'm thankful that we can own, read, and study our Bibles, and make petitions to the Lord and He will listen and answer (Philippians 4:6-7). I hope people won't be scared off by government officials who would have us believe we don't have a right to pray. My prayer today is that we DO pray; that we take advantage and start today, right now, to reach out to the Lord. I pray we will continue to seek Him and turn from evil. He's waiting for us. We just need to ask (Matthew 7:7).

Wanna join in? Click on over to Grace Alone. God bless.

3 comments:

Michele said...

Also thankful for a day of prayer, but I agree we need to be praying for these things everyday!

Denise said...

Bless you, I am also very thankful for prayer.

Jerralea said...

Good thoughts! I agree: let's take advantage of our right to pray!