Thursday, May 2, 2013

Thoughtful Thursdays

I have a couple of thoughts to share today, because it's a special day in 2 different ways.

First off, today is the National Day of Prayer.  While I believe it's important to pray everyday and often, I think we get into a rut sometimes.  I know I do.  It's good to set a day to remind everyone to pray and what important issues we need to pray about.  Pastor Greg Laurie has asked that we pray for our nation.  Boy, do we need it!  The farther away we turn from the Lord, the greater the messes we make.

I read this simple guideline for praying that I wanted to share, because I thought it was a good way to remember to pray regularly.

The 5 Finger Prayer


1. Your thumb is nearest you. So begin your prayers by praying for those closest to you. They are the easiest to remember. To pray for our loved ones is, as C. S. Lewis once said, a 'sweet duty.'

2. The next finger is the pointing finger. Pray for those who teach, instruct and heal. This includes teachers, doctors, and ministers. They need support and wisdom in pointing others in the right direction. Keep them in your prayers.

3. The next finger is the tallest finger. It reminds us of our leaders. Pray for the president, leaders in business and industry, and administrators. These people shape our nation and guide public opinion. They need God's guidance.

4. The fourth finger is our ring finger. Surprising to many is the fact that this is our weakest finger, as any piano teacher will testify. It should remind us to pray for those who are weak, in trouble or in pain. They need your prayers day and night. You cannot pray too much for them.

5. And lastly comes our little finger - the smallest finger of all - which is where we should place ourselves in relation to God and others. As the Bible says, 'The least shall be the greatest among you.' Your pinkie should remind you to pray for yourself. By the time you have prayed for the other four groups, your own needs will be put into proper perspective and you will be able to pray for yourself more effectively.

******

The second reason this is such a special day is because it's Take Your Child to Work day.  My son will be staying at home with me.  Contrary to what some believe, being a homemaker is hard work!  Keeping everyone well fed, well dressed, attended to; keeping the house in tip top shape; keeping the outside of the house equally clean; and many times we do it without so much as a thank you.  No one notices what homemakers do until it doesn't get done.  I think it's important for my son to see what it's like to keep a home running smoothly.  He's 13 years old now, not a baby.  He's old enough to understand and appreciate what gets done around the house, and hopefully by joining in and helping he will appreciate his future wife and be a helper to her as well.  We have to train our boys early on, or they will be boys forever instead of growing up to be men.

Speaking of which, my oldest son blessed the family this week by making fried pork and crab wontons.  I'm not fond of crab, but I did enjoy the pork wontons a lot!  They were absolutely delicious.  He bought all the supplies himself, and even cleaned up the mess afterwards.  It was a wonderful treat, and set a good example for his little brother.  We were able to enjoy the meal along with a scrumptious bread pudding my daughter made.  How nice it was to be treated like a guest in own home!

I hope you spend your day praying and appreciating your family.  That's where my heart is today.

No comments: