Friday, August 29, 2008

The end of an Era

I said goodbye to my job of 11 1/2 years today. Despite the fact that I've been looking forward to being a stay at home mom, it felt strange seeing my office empty and turning in the key. This office in particular has been my office since I came back from maternity leave 8 years ago. Previous to that I'd moved around a couple of times, but this was my second home. I'd personalized it with plants, a couple of paintings, all sorts of knick-knacks, etc. Now the shelves are bare, and the plant and a painting have been taken down. All my files are in boxes. To the surprise of many, I continued working even though it was my last day, making sure I left everything done. I wanted to be able to leave satisfied that I'd left no stone unturned, no paper unaccounted for.

In the morning, before going to my office, I went to our distribution warehouse and said goodbye to the workers there. I'd worked closely with several of the people, training them on our computer system. Others I'd worked with for years at our main location, before the second warehouse was opened because we'd outgrown the first location. Afterwards I said goodbye to the people I'd worked with side by side at our main location. I was afraid I'd fall apart and start bawling, but I'd prayed for strength and the Lord graciously allowed me to stay composed. I'm glad. I hate crying in public.

Because of prior lay-offs, I had the most seniority at our location, and was 3rd in line in the whole company. I guess this was another reason why leaving felt so weird. At this point I was practically a fixture in the company. My coworkers seemed to feel it too. It showed in their faces as they said goodbye. It was the end of an era.

I emailed my vendors yesterday to say farewell and express my heartfelt appreciation at having worked with them. I received so many kind responses and offers of recommendations, I was truly humbled at their generosity. Jesus was right in saying that we need to love our neighbors as we love ourselves. When we do so, the response is always positive.

So, a new chapter of my life begins today. When my son got home from school, he ran to greet me with a big hug and kiss. He's been counting down the days when he'd finally have a stay at home mom. Seeing his happiness at having me here for him reassured me that this isn't just my decision, this is God's decision, and it's the right one for me.

No comments: