Monday, April 20, 2020

Summer 2017

The summer of 2017 was normal for me in some ways,  but that doesn't mean there weren't changes going on, changes that affected my household. I was reminded that my babies are grown up, a fact that brings joy and sorrow at the same time. There's that part of me that wishes they were still little, even though I'm proud of who God has made them into.

My daughter was given the opportunity of a lifetime: to work at a day camp in Israel! She would be away for one month, from the end of June to the end of July.  I was both excited and terrified. She was going with a group of ladies from work, which gave me some peace, but there's always trouble in Israel unfortunately. Still, to be in the Holy Land, to walk the same cities and towns that Jesus walked with His apostles, to minister to the Israeli children, was a dream come true. I wouldn't object to her going, but I was going to be on my knees for a whole month praying for her safety.

At the same time, my oldest son had some exciting news. His best friend's girlfriend had a job offer in Central Florida. They were going to be moving up, and wanted to know if my son R would like to join them as their roommate. R had lived a little over a year in Central Florida when he and his sister were in school, but he'd come back home after she left because it was too lonely for him on his own. He often commented that he wanted to go back to live there one day. He liked it much more than South Florida. Now he had the opportunity, and he was going to take it. That was a bittersweet moment for me. I knew this was what he wanted and he'd probably have more chances of growth at his job in Central Florida. Oh, but to not have my baby close by everyday was breaking my heart! Of course, I was quickly reminded that he wasn't leaving the country or even the state. We could still visit him, and I felt that this was going to be a change for the better. 

I was off work for a week in mid June, then the following week R was in Central Florida looking for a place to live and interviewing so he could transfer from his job. He and his roommates made great progress in the two days they went up. Two days after they got back, A left for Israel. I'm not ashamed to admit I cried my eyes out even though I was happy for her. That week was an emotional roller coaster ride.

The next three weeks were filled with packing and decluttering. They didn't have much to take with them; they'd all been living with their parents, so they had no household items to speak of and very little furniture. I decided to give them my recliners. We had bought a set of recliners along with a reclining couch some 12 years earlier, and they were still in great condition. They needed furniture, and I needed a change. Since J had moved out I had replaced some of the furnishings in the home, not out of necessity but because of the sad memories attached to them. I wanted to be able to enter my home and not be reminded of all the pain I felt daily. My son jumped at the chance of having these super comfy recliners and I was glad to contribute to his move.

R and his friends left on July 13, and A didn't get back from Israel till the 23rd. It was me and my youngest son E on our own again for those 10 days. Just 5 years earlier my older kids had moved back home after a year in school, and now my son was moving out for good and my daughter had caught the travel bug. They were all grown up, and things were changing, but little prepared us for what the fall was going to blow in (literally!).

No comments: