Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Packing And Searching

When God lays something on your heart, there's a good reason for it. I had spent two years decluttering my home, first little by little, then more aggressively. Months before putting my house up for sale, I was making deposits at the local Goodwill monthly. When it came time to pack up my house, I was so grateful to have much less to pack and go through. I was intentional about keeping only the things that I loved and that I could use (and fit) into a smaller home.

Of course, I didn't really know what I could and couldn't keep until I found the right place. Things were moving quickly, but I was aware that a home purchase could fall apart over any detail. Thankfully the buyers were already pre-approved by their bank. It all rested on inspection and appraisal.

The inspection was scheduled for August 1, just one week after the house was put up for sale. I was so relieved when, after 3 hours of very detailed checking, the inspector declared that the house had only minor issues. He pointed out that the exhaust fan in the master bathroom wasn't working. He was right; it hadn't worked in years and I'd never given it a second thought. He also said the washing machine was leaking. It wasn't. Occasionally the drain would get clogged, though I wasn't sure why. Since these were the only issues he mentioned in front of me, I went ahead and had a new exhaust fan put in the bathroom that afternoon. Strangely enough, I used the washing machine and the water drained with no problem for 2 weeks. Then suddenly the drain began backing up again. Rather than leave it that way and hope it was a fluke, I called a plumber and had the drain unclogged. Whenever he showed me what came out I was shocked. It was baking soda! I often added baking soda to my laundry since it's supposed to help with odors, and whenever I did yardwork my clothes reeked. I had no idea it could harden in the pipes and cause blockage. Lesson learned!

My realtor had a mini vacation scheduled for August 8 - 13 which I'd known about before the house ever went up for sale. August 14 we went house hunting. What I was looking for was a townhouse 1,500-1,600 square feet, 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, preferably a corner unit so I wouldn't have neighbors on both sides. I was open to fixing up a place so long as it was in my budget and wasn't major repairs needed. My son E went with us, since he was going to be living there too. I also wanted an extra set of eyes that knew what I wanted and needed. We saw 5 homes on the first day, 4 homes the next day. Whenever I liked a place, my son didn't. He would point out things and I could see his point. Whenever he liked a place, I didn't. We saw places that needed way more work than I wanted to take on. There were kitchens that were too small, homes with very little storage, narrow staircases, small rooms. We saw one place that I immediately loved; it was a townhouse that looked like a single family home. The space was great, the layout was perfect, but the association fees were so high that I wouldn't be able to afford it. Which my son didn't mind; he didn't like the place! Rather than get nervous or worried, I trusted that God knew the place He had chosen and would show us at the right time.

August 17 we had 5 more homes lined up to see. We went to the first one at 11:00 am. The first thing I noticed was how well maintained the development looked. I even questioned the age of the homes; I couldn't believe they were over 30 years old! This townhouse was unique in that the living area was upstairs and only the garage and entryway were downstairs. We were welcomed by a nice wide staircase, and as we went up and turned all three of us said, "Wow!" The home was light and airy. It all looked to be in excellent condition. The kitchen had been updated, as had both bathrooms. The house was even painted in colors that went perfectly with my own taste and decor! The only downside was that one of the bedrooms wasn't really a bedroom. It was completely open to the rest of the living space. I had wanted a third bedroom for whenever we had company. Still, as we went through the home, I couldn't help but see all the pros. There was a window above the kitchen sink that looked out onto a canal and lots of tall, beautiful trees. There was no backyard, just a balcony that was completely screened in and had a lovely tiled floor looking out to a gorgeous view. My son E and I measured the rooms and were pleasantly surprised at how large and roomy they were - the second bedroom was bigger that the bedroom he had at the house, plus it had a walk-in closet! Even the one car garage had tons of storage. It was the first time that my son and I both agreed on a place. As we were leaving my realtor said, "Okay, tell me what's wrong with the place so I can tell you how wrong you are!" And I had to admit I really really liked it. 

We decided since we still had appointments to go to, we would see what else was available before making a decision. We ended up only seeing two more properties, and they were nowhere near what we were looking for. One backed up to a shopping center, the other needed lots of work. We were supposed to see two more, but no one was there to open the door and we couldn't get the lockbox open. We were all convinced God had led us to the perfect place. Now we just needed to make an offer.

Since the townhouse was advertised as a 3 bedroom but in reality it only had 2, I offered $12,000 less than the asking price but also said I'd be ready to close in 3 weeks. The seller dropped the asking price by $8,000 but said she wouldn't be able to move and close that soon. So my realtor negotiated a little more, explaining that I would have to pay for storage for my things since I would be out of my own house by September 9. Ultimately, I got the house for $9,500 below asking and I was thrilled! The best part - I would be purchasing the house cash, no mortgage, no debt. Hallelujah!! I had sold my house and signed a purchase contract for a new house in less than a month! God is so good y'all!

No comments: