Saturday, July 25, 2020

Let's Take A Tour - The Balcony

Before I get started, let me address the new look on my blog. I did like the old background and colors, but I was ready for a change. It's been five years, after all. I fell in love with this rustic look and the sunflowers. It reminds me of spring and summer, of warm days and showers and new growth on the trees and flowers blooming. It's change, but in a good way.

One of the things that immediately caught our eyes whenever we first walked into this home was the views. There are plenty of windows, but there are also two glass doors from where everything beyond is green. My heart skipped a beat. 


The balcony sits between the living room and dining room and has two sets of sliding glass doors. This allows lots of sunlight to stream in during the day, and in the winter we have lovely cross breezes that keep the house cool and refreshed. It's also completely screened in to keep bugs out, though we've noticed there's a little lizard that has found some crevice to sneak in through. 


I love the fact that the floors are tiled and not just plain dull cement. It makes it easier to keep clean, though now in the summer we've been getting rain almost daily and that helps wash away most of the dust. 

I desperately wanted to get a small patio set for the balcony but since it was October the stores were preparing for Christmas, not outdoor activity. I looked on OfferUp and Facebook Marketplace but I couldn't find anything that caught my eye, not to mention it would have to be close by since I don't have a vehicle that would fit a bunch of outdoor seating. So I went to my trusty Amazon to see what was available. There were plenty of patio sets; finding one that would fit was the challenge. This balcony is not very big. The patio set I'd had at the house wouldn't fit here. I wanted something with a couple of chairs that was comfortable but didn't take up a lot of space. This set on Amazon was just what I was looking for.  It's two rockers and a side table, black metal with taupe cushions that clean easily. It took about half an hour to put together. The small shelves had been in our old garage but it was too small for what I needed in our garage now, so instead I put it here and added some fall greenery and a white pumpkin over a hay bale. The barometer on the wall was left by the previous owner so I didn't have to put anything there. I just added the lantern that I got on clearance from Target for $4.50 and the look was complete. I kept it simple because the star of this show is the view:


My realtor and best friend's words to me were, "The view alone sells this house." And she's right. There's a canal running along the back of our house, where we've seen all sorts of wildlife - cranes, ducks, turtles, fish (thankfully no gators, at least not yet), and this beauty which I was able to get a picture of:


It's kind of hidden, well blended into the tree, but what a majestic hawk! My son first noticed it, and it took our breath away. We've seen so many different birds - finches, blue jays, some we've never seen before and don't know what they are. It's a nice quiet neighborhood, so sitting outside and watching all the different animals gives us so much enjoyment. 

I've only done a little decorating since we moved in. We got plenty of use of the balcony in the fall and winter months, but now in the summer it's so hot and humid we don't sit out here. Still, I've made a few small changes that make it a bit more homey.

 
I added a couple of plants that I bought in the spring from Costco for $8. They came with the terracotta planters which is a plus, since they are my favorite types of planters. At the old house I had plants on my window sill, but they didn't fit in my kitchen in this house, so both my cactus and my orchid ended up out here. They are both thriving, so I don't mind the change.


Another great thing about this balcony is the ceiling fan. It came with the house and has been convenient whenever we sit outside. The hanging plant is artificial; I want to get one or two real plants but I'm waiting for summer to be over so I can get some from Home Depot cheap. And there's that view again...

I no longer have a big yard. No more mowing, no more trimming, no more weeding, no more sweating. Yet I still can enjoy the outdoors. I love looking out from my balcony to the water, the trees, the grass,  and the wildlife. It's so peaceful. Even on stormy days, when the sky goes from blue to grey and the clouds are no longer puffy white; when it seems ominous, and the wind blows, and we hear the thunder rolling in the distance, it's still beautiful and awe inspiring. God has made all these different scenes, these backdrops that are a work of art. "The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of His hands." (Psalm 19:1). 

I hate to leave this tranquil spot, but it's on to the heart of the home. The kitchen is next, so stay tuned. 

No comments: