Monday, July 6, 2020

Setting Up (A New) House

Closing on my old house was on September 9. Closing on my new home didn't happen till September 25. Two weeks of preparation. I had HOA documents to fill out, meetings with management companies and homeowner's association directors, services to cancel or redirect...those two weeks were still pretty busy and filled with excitement. My daughter and son-in-law offered us a room in their home so we wouldn't have to stay in a hotel. It was a great blessing, especially since they live just three minutes away from our new house. 

Thanks to my wonderful realtor we were able to do the closing at the property immediately after doing the walk-through. My POD was delivered that very day, and the hard work began once again.


I'm so glad the new property has a one car garage, but because we were unloading the POD on my new driveway my parking spot was blocked and so was my garage. As a resident I couldn't park in the guest spots, so I had to unload the container as much as possible, then go back to my daughter's house. My daughter and son-in-law had to work, so it was up to E and me to unload everything as quickly as possible. We emptied over half our belongings just on that first day, after giving the place a good cleaning. By the 28th it was completely emptied out.


I'd begun ordering furniture for the master bedroom, starting with the nightstands which I purchased off of Walmart.com. The bed and mattress were ordered from Amazon, and they arrived on the 25th and 26th. We moved things into the garage first, then moved them up to the office, which became the staging area for the first few weeks.



The POD was picked up on September 30, and that was our official move-in date. From that moment on everything is a blur, honestly. There was unpacking, arranging, rearranging; internet set up; furniture delivery and so much more. During this time we received sad news: my children's grandfather passed away after years of struggling with COPD. It was somewhat unexpected; he'd been sick and hospitalized so many times before and had ultimately pulled through. This time he'd been sent to a rehab center, then back home. He died in his own home, in his own bed, which was what he wanted. 

But we had good news too. My son R came to visit us on October 5, less than a week after we'd moved in. Much of the house was set up by then, and he helped with some of the unpacking as well. He only stayed for the weekend but it was so nice to have him with us. 

I didn't take many pictures during that time. I was so busy I didn't think about it, but I did manage a few pics.


I decided on a queen sized bed with an upholstered headboard. I bought the bedspread at Costco for $30, and the sheet set was $16 and extremely soft and comfy. My idea was to have my clothes in the closet and just a few items in the nightstands just as I'd done with my old bedroom set, but I soon realized the nightstands were much smaller than my old ones, so I ordered the matching chest of drawers.


All the accessories were items I'd brought from my old house except for the lamps. My lovely realtor gifted me a $100 gift certificate for Home Goods/TJ Maxx/Marshalls, and since I have a TJ Maxx close to my new home I decided to use it there. I went on a Monday and found out TJ Maxx gives 10% off on Mondays to everyone 55 and older. First time I was happy to be a senior citizen!! I also went by the clearance section and picked up an artificial plant and stand.


I'd given my old patio furniture to my daughter because it wouldn't fit on my new patio, so I purchased a couple of rocking chairs and a small table from Amazon for $125.



My favorite part of the little patio is the view. Since it's completely screened in, we can enjoy it without worrying about mosquitos and bugs. I have my wire rack that was in my old garage as a plant/decor stand, making the spot homey.

There were some projects I'd planned, but that'll be in my next blog post. Stay tuned!

No comments: