Friday, October 23, 2020

Recipe Time: Beef and Black Bean Chili

It's time for another recipe! This is a beef and black bean chili recipe that I "stole" from Rachael Ray; actually, it's pretty similar but I modified it for my family. Here we go!

The ingredients are:



1.25 lbs. ground beef

1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil

1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce

2 heaping tbsp. sofrito *

 1.5 tbsp. chili powder

1/2 tbsp. ground cumin

1 cup beef stock or beef broth

1 can chili diced tomatoes (14.5 oz.)

1 can tomato sauce (8 oz.)

1 can black beans, drained (15 oz.)

1 tbsp. dried cilantro or 1 handful fresh, chopped

*Sofrito is a base used in Puerto Rican cooking. While everyone has their own version (handed down from generation to generation), the main ingredients are: onions; green bell peppers; petite red, yellow and orange bell peppers; garlic; cilantro; salt. Whenever I can find it I also like to add culantro - which is not the same as cilantro. The leaves are very different, and culantro has a stronger smell and taste. I would say, if you don't like cilantro you definitely will not like culantro. I also prefer to use aji dulce (or sweet chili peppers) in my sofrito but they are hard to come by in Florida, so I substitute petite bell peppers instead. I chop up all the ingredients and put them in the blender. Some people will make it in a food processor but my family has always done it in the blender. I then store it in a jar or plastic container in the refrigerator. It can also be frozen. 

Start by browning the ground beef in a stock pot. 


Drain, then add salt and pepper to taste.


Next, add the Worcestershire sauce (I don't measure this. Use your judgment).


I add my sofrito (it kinda looks like green mush but will disappear in the meat).


Next come the spices. Chili powder...


...and cumin.


I use much less spices than Rachael Ray does in her recipe, but that's up to each individual. We all know what our families prefer.

I let this cook for about 5 minutes, then add in the beef broth and scrape up all the yummy stuff at the bottom of the pot.


I like the Aldi's brand but any broth or stock will do. Then come the diced tomatoes.


My favorite are the fire roasted diced tomatoes from Aldi's but they haven't had them in stock for awhile. These Zesty Chili diced tomatoes from Del Monte work nicely too, though they aren't as spicy.

Next is a can of tomato sauce


and a can of black beans that have been drained (you can rinse them as well if you want).


I've made this with chili beans, pinto beans, red beans, but my family likes the black beans best. Stir everything together and let simmer for 5-10 minutes.


The last ingredient is optional: dried or fresh cilantro.


You can use as much or as little as you want, but if you're using dried err on the side of caution. Dried herbs have stronger flavor than fresh.


And that's it! I serve mine over white rice or with a side of cornbread. If you like a spicier version, add jalapeno peppers. Top it with cheese, sour cream, whatever makes your taste buds happy. Buen Provecho!

No comments: