Saturday, October 17, 2020

The Week In Review

This has been a rough week. I intended several times to sit down and post, but I couldn't think of anything to write about. Or rather, I could think of plenty to write about but nothing I wanted to write about.

My ex-brother-in-law passed away on Thursday. He would have turned 49 next month. It was not a surprise; he was diagnosed with brain cancer last December and had been given 3-6 months to live. They tried surgery, chemo, and radiation, but none of these stopped the growth from coming back. The last month and a half he spent in bed, unable to walk, talk, eat, or move. Everyone knew it was coming, but that doesn't make it any less heartbreaking. He died two weeks after the first anniversary of his father's death. His mother, my children's grandmother, is absolutely devastated. He leaves behind a wife, a 5 year old son, and a 22 year old son from a previous relationship, along with 5 siblings and a multitude of aunts, uncles, cousins and friends. 

It was a reminder to me that our days are counted. Everyday we are closer to the day when Jesus returns, or when we meet Him in heaven. We've been studying Jesus' parables in our ladies Bible study group. We've done the parable of the two builders (Matthew 7:24-27), the ten virgins (Matthew 25:1-13), and last night we studied the wheat and the tares (Matthew 13:24-30, 36-43). Each of these parables point to the fact that Jesus' return is imminent, but no one knows when He will return. Therefore it is important to be ready. Our hearts need to be fully dedicated to the Lord and His Kingdom, even in the smallest details of our lives. 

Last Sunday I began painting my daughter's bathroom vanity, and Monday I completed it, sealing it with Polycrylic. It turned out so well, and my daughter was pleased with it which is what matters most.


It's a dark greige, which works beautifully with the tile floors that resemble wood. The vanity was in good condition but the finish didn't match all their new fixtures. Paint is a great option whenever you want something new but it's out of the budget.

My son completed his astronomy class in 8 weeks and got an A in the class. I'm very proud of him, because this class was not an easy one. He worked hard and was rewarded well for his effort.

 I put gas in my car this week. Not a big deal, except that I hadn't put gas in my car since August. With this pandemic still hovering over us (though much of Florida has been reopened) I don't get out a whole lot, which saves on gas. What's even nicer is that I spent $28.10 to fill up my tank. That's because gas is $1.97/gallon. Looks like the pandemic has been good in that respect.

Another bit of good news is that my son and new daughter-in-law will be in town tomorrow night. We'll be taking them out for a celebratory dinner, though I haven't decided where yet. I'm so happy that we'll be able to spend some time with them since we couldn't be with them for the wedding. God is so generous to allow this time together.

There is more to this week's happenings, but I'm going to leave that for another post. Till then, God bless y'all and keep y'all safe.

No comments: