Thursday, March 22, 2012

Thursday Thoughts

It's been a busy week.  A non-stop sort of week.  A productive and tiring sort of week.

* We put in laminate wood floors back in 2010.  Since then I've been determined to give them a polish twice a year to keep them looking fresh and new, and to help protect them.  I use Pledge Wood Finish because it not only gives the floors a lovely sheen, it smells incredible.  My house will smell like new floors for weeks.  I like that a lot.

* To do a proper floor polishing I have to move furniture, clean the floors well, polish them, let the polish set for at least 30 minutes, then put the furniture back.  For that reason I do one room per day (except for the kitchen which I did quickly since there was no furniture to move).  I started with the dining room, moved on to the kitchen and formal living room, then ran out of floor polish.  Bummer.

* After searching high and low, guess which was the only store that carried the brand of floor polish I like?  That's right, Walmart.  I checked Winn-Dixie, Home Depot, and Lowe's.  They had all sorts of products, but not the floor polish.  Score one for Wally World.

* I've got all the living areas done so far.  The bedroom floors need to be done next, probably my daughter's room once the furniture is gone.  When I say gone, I mean out of the house.

* My daughter has decided to come back home after graduation.  While work is more abundant in Central Florida than in South Florida, she has absolutely no work experience.  Zero.  Zilch.  Nada.  She went from high school to college, and her father didn't want her working for fear her grades would suffer and she'd lose her scholarships.  It worked - she made the dean's list several times, never got less than a B-, and will graduate on time with a degree in Creative Writing with a minor in Religious Studies.  Unfortunately jobs are asking for 2 -3 years work experience.  She acknowledges she'll have to get a starter job, and that won't pay enough to maintain all or even half of her expenses.  So, she's coming home, along with her new bedroom furniture that's less than a year old.

* The bedroom furniture in her room at home is the same furniture her dad made when she was born.  It's very pretty, if you're a 5 year old girl.  It's even nice if you're a 10 year old girl.  However, when you're a 22 year old young lady, it's totally inappropriate.  It's a little girl's bedroom set, with a twin size bed, a wall unit/dresser with small drawers, a small desk and a couple of nightstands, all in shiny white laminate.  She has wanted a new bedroom set for years, but her dad couldn't understand what was wrong with what she already had.  I guess in his mind she was still his "little girl".  When we bought her the bedroom set she has now at her apartment, she chose an espresso colored wood queen size bed with a large dresser, mirror and nightstand (she didn't even have a decent sized mirror before).  This is the furniture she'll be bringing home, so out with the old and in with the new.  Her dad has sold her old furniture, and it just has to be picked up.

* This will give me the opportunity to not only polish the floors in her room, but paint the walls as well.  Currently the walls are painted a blue that was originally more of a teal, but which has faded and now looks almost baby blue.  Again, nice for a little girl, but it will look totally wrong with her bedroom set and bedding.  I've told her to look at paint samples and see what she likes.  The other thing that needs to be done is the removal of her ceiling fan, which is, of course, white.  And small.  My idea is simple:  the ceiling fan in the family room has dark colored blades and a brushed nickel finish, perfect for her bedroom set.  I want a ceiling fan in the family room that is more rustic, like the new chandelier in our dining room, since the family room is right off the dining room.  That means I'll have to remove the ceiling fan in her bedroom, remove the ceiling fan in the family room, put the family room ceiling fan in her bedroom, and put a new ceiling fan in the family room.  I got tired just thinking about it.

* That's just the indoor stuff.  Did I mention I've been planting flowers and cleaning up the front yard?  Tomorrow I get to cut the grass.

Spring is a time of renewal, of freshening and re-freshening.  I need an energy drink.

No comments: