Thursday, March 8, 2012

Good Christian WHAT?!?!

A dear friend of mine sent me an email yesterday that upset and disturbed me.  Actually, it outraged me.  It was about a new program on ABC called GCB.  Turns out the title was supposed to be "Good Christian B*tches, only the network caught some flack about it and changed the name to "Good Christian Belles" or GCB, but the premise of the show is the same.  It's supposed to be a kind of Desperate Housewives scenario, but with church going Christian women who are biblical hypocrites.  (Funny how they don't come up with a show called Good Jewish Belles or Good Muslim Belles.  Guess it wouldn't be as popular?).

Maybe to some this is funny, or innocent, or just television.  Excuse me, but I disagree.  I am a Christian woman who does not want to be showcased in this negative way.  Are there women who call themselves Christian but don't live up to that name?  Unfortunately, yes.  But it is unfair to put the majority in with the minority.  There are women who are murderers, but I would be very upset if a program came on depicting all women as vicious serial killers because most women aren't.  The same is true of Christians.  The media will taint the view of true Bible believing Christian women who are trying to live a Christ-centered life.  They will also turn young people away by making all Christian women look as vile as these characters portray us.  It is wrong, and we shouldn't stand for it.

There is a website, the American Decency Association, that has a form letter ready to send to all the advertisers of this show.  I could say we need to boycott the program, as NYC Councilman Peter Vallone has called for, but seriously, we need to hit them where it hurts, and that's in the pocketbook.  You can go here, and fill out the form letter with your name and email, and the American Decency Association will send the complaint email to all the advertisers for this program.  Kraft has already pulled their advertising due to all the emails received, so it does make a difference.  Please, help get this trash off a network owned by Disney, who claims to promote family values.  We need to be heard.

1 comment:

Barb said...

Hi Arlene~

Thank you for bringing this to my attention - I had never heard of this show, and I am certainly appauled!

I couldn't agree with you more, and I am so proud of you for speaking out. Being a Christian woman, I too strongly object to being mocked and made fun of in such a way. I think the adversary is trying in every way to make us look bad, or stupid or foolish, and the only way to combat this kind of thig is with knowledge. I'm headed to the website you suggested!!

Hugs,
Barb