Friday, September 18, 2020

Continuing The Fall Decorating Process

 Last Saturday I left off here...


I brought up my tubs filled with fall decor. I love whenever I bring up my decor that's packed away; it's like opening up a brand new package, because I can't remember what it was I had. I pulled everything out and started separating it into groups.


I was glad I'd gotten more pillows. I decluttered a few when we moved because we only had the one sectional. Now I had this futon as well, and I wanted to add a few pillows here.


As I take my everyday decor down, I wrap it in old pillowcases. This protects anything that is breakable and is a way of recycling items that I would have gotten rid of otherwise. 


I've had this glass pumpkin for over 12 years. It was a gift from a vendor when I was working as a purchasing manager for a company that closed in 2008. That's how I know it's that old. It was originally filled with candy. Now it's full of orange potpourri. I put it on one of the glass shelves above the dry bar.


 On the next shelf above that one I put this pretty candle that I got on clearance from Target years ago. Since my son E and I have allergies I don't typically burn candles, but I do like displaying them. This one has leaves cut into the wax and a little acorn charm tied around it with twine. I decided that was enough for the glass shelves; I wanted to keep it simple.


I added a couple of pumpkins to my dining room table to complete this look. Dollar Tree has some of the best little pumpkins for $1.00. I've had these for at least a couple of years. They are heavy and really nice quality.


This light up train station is a treasure I've had for many years. It's decorated for fall on this side, and for Christmas on the other. This was from House of Lloyd, from their Christmas Around The World collection.


Next I moved on to the living room. I took away some decor and added some pumpkins. Not too many, though. I feel like it's easy to go overboard and have clutter instead of decorations. The jar on top (I call it my genie jar) was originally in the dining room but I needed some height here. I added two pumpkins; the green one was from the Target dollar spot last year and the white one I got at Walmart. The one on the bottom shelf is the only new pumpkin, from the ones I picked up at Hobby Lobby. 


I did a similar look on the other bookshelf. I try to keep them symmetrical but not identical The Autumn Greetings sign I got from the Dollar Tree this year, and the white pumpkin on the bottom is from Hobby Lobby. 


Over in the corner I replaced the summer artwork with this framed piece that I bought years ago from Kirkland's. It has the first two verses of Psalm 23. I changed out the white flowers in the black vase with these tan and pink flowers in a mason jar, and added a pumpkin from Walmart. That was all it needed to give it a fall touch.

The coffee table got a slight makeover. This tray was on my dining room table, but I put it in the living room instead. These two Dollar Tree pumpkins have the same colors as the vase, and the green leaves match the candles perfectly. Oh, and the Hello Autumn sign in the background? It's under the television set, and I picked it up at Dollar Tree this year too.


There were still more pumpkins, so I decided to add a few to my bedroom. This little grouping is on the nightstand nearest the window. The larger pumpkin is a candy jar that I picked up a couple of years ago from Walmart. I wanted to mix up the colors so it would coordinate with the other nightstand.


A tiny Target pumpkin made its way to my picture shelf.


I moved on to the master bathroom. I don't normally add decor to the bathrooms, but I had this one pumpkin left and I figured it would brighten this area nicely.


We mustn't forget the kitchen! All I did here was add my ceramic scarecrow next to my Puerto Rican Cuisine cookbook. I'd already switched out the flowers; I didn't want to add a whole lot more. Besides, my bowls, which are there all the time and are used daily, have a fall vibe of their own.



I was really excited to fix up my patio area. Everything I have here came from our old house, and all of it is either from Walmart or the Dollar Tree. Y'all, it's possible to decorate a home on a budget and still have it look really cute. You don't need a fortune to have a lovely home.


I did end up making a switch in the living room. When I was unpacking the pillows and deciding where to put them, I found my pumpkin pillow that I got a few years back from Big Lots. I tried it out here and I liked it better than the Costco pillow. Which made me sad, because I really love that Costco pillow. What did I do with it?


I added it to my bed! Whenever I tried it here I knew this was the perfect spot. The colors match beautifully and pulled the whole room decor together!

That's where I finally stopped. My brain was drained from all that moving and switching! Of course I love every minute of it. And trust me, I'm not done. Things have moved around a little here and there, but that's the beauty of decorating. By making small changes we keep everything looking fresh and new. Happy Fall Y'all!

No comments: