Saturday, September 5, 2020

The Week In Review

I know, I know, the week isn't quite over. At least not if you count Monday as the first day of the week. I'm gonna be busy helping my daughter and son-in-law tomorrow and I don't know if I'll have a chance to post. 

This week began the transformation of my home from spring/summer to fall/winter with the rearranging of my living room furniture. I posted all about it in my previous post. Once I'd settled the furniture where I wanted it, I decided to buy a few more items for fall decorating. I had found a few pieces at Dollar Tree in traditional fall colors but I wanted to add a few more things, and I heard Walmart had some nice items. I've bought fall decor from Walmart before so I knew what to look for. Before heading to Walmart I decided to stop at Costco, which is on the way, to pick up some facial tissue and compressed air for my son. Y'all, look what else I found!


Isn't it the cutest thing?! And it has all the colors I'm looking for! Traditional orange, cool toned teal, and the golden wheat color that is so popular this year. And when you turn it around...


...this perfectly stunning plaid! And if that isn't enough, this pillow was only $9.99! They had a couple other designs but this one was by far my favorite. I'm thinking it might go in my bedroom. Or the living room. Maybe even the office. I don't know but I just love it!

After Costco I headed to Walmart but was so disappointed. They were only just taking down all the back to school stuff and had one aisle of fall decor out. None of it impressed me. It was okay, but nothing I wanted to spend money on. I'd gone for two things: pumpkins and florals. The pumpkins were overpriced in my opinion, and there were no florals out yet. It was especially upsetting because all I got was groceries. I could have bought those at the Neighborhood Walmart that is just blocks away from my house instead of heading across town to the Super Walmart. I didn't even find everything I needed! This was my Walmart grocery haul:


At least I was able to get a box of Cinnamon & Pecan Special K cereal. They don't carry that flavor at my local Walmart. I also picked up some frozen/refrigerator items.


Finally found frozen corn! I got my son more of his flavored waters and some salads.


Anyone else take advantage of the produce or meats when the prices get reduced? There's nothing wrong with either one of them. They are close to the expiration date, so the stores would rather sell them cheap than throw them out. I have no problem taking it off their hands.

When I saw that there was no fall decor to speak of, I decided to head on over to Hobby Lobby. I just felt so bummed because I had my heart set on getting fall decor and Walmart was a total letdown. Hobby Lobby certainly wasn't.


I wasn't out to get a huge amount of stuff. All I wanted was some pumpkins and some florals, and even though the temptation was great I stuck to my guns and only purchased what I'd set out for. There are some beautiful fall decorations at Hobby Lobby, and all of it 40% off, so it was hard to limit myself, but God gave me the strength I needed! I got the little cube-full of pumpkins for $7.19 (that's the price I paid after the 40% discount. Original price is $11.99). It has all the colors that I was looking for. The two larger pumpkins in sage green and ivory were $4.19 each. The smaller pumpkin in the shiny bright orange was $2.99. As for the florals, I picked up a bouquet that was originally $14.99 but I paid $8.99. 




I'd looked at some florals that I could make a bouquet out of myself, but this one was nicer quality and ended up costing less that $1.00 more. I also got the larger picks for $4.19 each after discount, so they totaled $12.57. I'd planned on using the floral picks in my bedroom in some large vases I have, adding them to the existing florals. I tried to arrange them with the greenery and the eucalyptus I already had, but it just wasn't working, and again I was discouraged. I was ready to return them, but I tried to work with them a little more. This is what I came up with, and I love the simplicity of the arrangement and the color it adds to the room.


I'm so glad this jug is a neutral color, because it works with any color and every season. I took the greenery out and used only the three picks. Anything else looked like too much. I liked the way this looked, but it clashed with the flowers I had on my nightstand.


The new florals are in oranges and greens, while the flowers on my nightstand are peaches and pinks. While I wasn't ready to go all out fall decorating, I knew if I wanted to keep the fall arrangement (and I did) I'd have to change out this springtime one.


Much better! The fall colors in my sage green bedroom are so warm and inviting!


The pitcher I had here on my nightstand was too small for this floral bouquet, so I grabbed another pitcher from my dining room and swapped them out. I love how the colors of this bouquet play off the gold trim on the lamp. It's getting me even more excited for fall and the holidays!

Today I went to a local tile store with my daughter and her husband to help them pick out tiles for their master bathroom remodel. They live in an older villa, and the previous owner had done very little in the way of upgrading the home. It still had the original 1980's kitchen! Last November they remodeled the kitchen, taking down half a wall, reconfiguring the layout, and putting in new cabinets and appliances. The kitchen looks gorgeous now. Last month they remodeled the guest bathroom, which was in pretty bad shape. The vanity was falling apart. Now it has a coastal farmhouse look with all new tiles, paint, toilet and vanity. This month is the master bathroom remodel. I'm so thankful they look to me for advise on the design and decor. I'll be painting their existing master bathroom vanity, since it's one of the only things the previous owner changed out and it's fairly new. It's also a very solid, well made piece, but the color won't work with the new design they're going for so they asked me to paint it for them. I love design projects so I'm definitely up for the challenge!

And that's been my week. I hope everyone has a blessed Sunday and a calm, relaxing weekend. God bless.

No comments: