Wednesday, September 30, 2020

The Queen of Clearance - Part 1

I've often jokingly referred to myself as the Queen of Clearance. That's because I love the clearance section of any store. It's where I gravitate to first whenever I'm shopping because if I can get what I'm looking for at an extra bargain, well, I'm all about that life :-). Of course there are many others out there who probably call themselves by the same name, so I thought I'd provide some proof of why I deserve the crown ;-). This is just a small sampling of my clearance buys; many of the items I've bought on clearance have left my home as gifts that are super cute and no one knows that they were purchased on clearance. I call that a win-win.

Starting in my entryway, a couple of clearance bargains I picked up just a couple of months ago.



 Once stores were allowed to reopen the sales were abundant. Clearance aisles were filled with all the spring and Easter items that didn't sell and that needed to leave the stores so summer and fall decor could start occupying the shelves. I found these arches for above our front and garage doors at Hobby Lobby. The original price was $49.99 each, but I was able to scoop them up for $12.50 each. In case anyone is wondering, the wreath is one I made many years ago. It has undergone several transformations. Right now it's a simple fall wreath.

The monogram sign in my entryway is also a clearance find. I don't know what the original price was, but I picked it up at Hobby Lobby for $6.49. 

This artificial snake plant was purchased shortly after we moved into this house. It's from TJ Maxx, and I got it for a double bargain - it was on clearance for $16.99, but since I bought it on Monday I got my 10% senior discount as well, so my price was $15.29. It's really nice quality and heavy.

Another Hobby Lobby favorite is this chalkboard sign at the top of the stairs. The original price was $59.99. When I saw the price was reduced to $17.49, I knew I would find a place for this in my house somewhere! 

I never pay full price for vases, but I especially like to find them on clearance. Target is my go to for clearance vases. This one was $4.50, originally $9.99.



I found these three planters at Target for $4.50 each as well, reduced from $14.99. They are ceramic and can hold artificial or real plants. In my case only the cactus is real. It's out on my patio. The others are scattered around my house.

Kirkland's is another store where I've been able to get really beautiful decor at rock bottom clearance prices. This gather sign, for instance, was originally $29.99 but I paid $8.00 for it. However, my best clearance find at Kirkland's by far is above my futon.


This is not a small piece, y'all. It measures 46" x 34". The original price for this beauty was $139. It was reduced several times and was all the way down to $23.99 whenever I got to the store. I had a coupon that day; I ended up paying $19.75 for it! I mean, that is garage sale pricing! That is what you'd pay at a thrift store kind of price! I was on cloud nine that day!

Also in my office is this rose gold candleholder that I snagged for $5.50 at Target. I don't remember what the original price was but, y'all know Target prices. 

And what about big pieces? Furniture sized pieces? Yes, I've managed to get some good clearance deals on those too, not just little decor pieces.


Whenever I found this futon on the Walmart website, I didn't know it was on clearance. I just knew that $280 was way less than I'd seen it for several months on Amazon, Wayfair, Overstock and the like. I later found out this style was being discontinued. Another very similar style was replacing it, and Walmart was trying to get rid of their inventory. I've since not seen this particular futon in this color anywhere; you can find it in other colors but not for less that $400.00.


My sectional was also a clearance item. Costco was selling it for $899.99. They'd dropped the price to $799.99 but I had my rebate check, so my cost was $650.00. It's five years old and still looks great.

Sometimes the clearance aisle at Hobby Lobby is a letdown, but whenever I needed a lamp for the side table in my office this was the perfect fit and it was only $19.99, complete with the lampshade.

I didn't realize how long this post was gonna be, and I'm not halfway through yet! Time to make lunch - this list will continue in another post. Stay tuned!

No comments: