Friday, May 21, 2021

Central Florida House Tour - The Living Room

While some of the rooms in a house are deemed most important (and rightfully so; bathrooms and kitchens are the most essential), I needed to get my living room set up quick because most of the large furniture needed to go in there. I didn't want to leave all the furniture in the garage with moving boxes and home decor and everything else. It would make finding anything near to impossible! So we got to setting up the living room mainly to get everything out of the way. What it ended up doing was making this empty shell of a house feel like home.

One of my favorite aspects of this living room is the tall ceilings and very tall sliding glass doors into the backyard. I was standing on my tip-toes and reaching up, and I was still almost a foot away from the top of the doors. I've never had sliding glass doors this tall - they let in a ton of light, especially in the mornings. You can see the patio beyond, and the area where the previous owner's dogs dug up all the grass. That's an area I'll have to work on soon, but for now, let's keep focusing on the living room.

The first day we moved in, all we had was the television set and the futon. All the other furniture was in the second Pod. I'm glad though, because this gave me time to evaluate how I wanted the room set up. On the original house plans, this room is called a great room, not a living room. It's open to the kitchen which is open to the dining area. The room is 17 1/2' x 14', so it's pretty large. However, the layout is a bit...challenging. On the one wall we have the sliding glass doors in the middle of the wall. They're as wide as they are tall - 96" both ways - so I couldn't put any furniture against that wall. The wall opposite isn't a wall at all; there's a breakfast bar that opens up into the kitchen, so furniture can't go against that either. The wall where the previous owners had their television is also the wall where the entry door to the master bedroom is. 

This meant that the only full wall in the living room was the wall opposite the TV wall. This is where the previous owners had their sectional, but it wasn't where I wanted to put mine. For one, it felt like the seating was far from the television set. It left so much empty space in the middle of the room that it felt awkward, and definitely not cozy which is what I like. Second, the wall where they had their TV wasn't going to work for me. I have my fireplace/tv stand with side-by-side bookshelves, and although they would technically fit on the wall, it was an exact fit which would make it look crowded - another look I don't want in my house. Besides, they'd made holes in the wall for the television set. They'd hung the TV on the wall and put in holes to run the cord behind the wall, thus keeping it hidden from view. That's great - if you want to hang your tv. I didn't. It's a look I personally don't care for and I never have liked. So, if I put my tv there I'd have to find a way to cover the hole, either by patching it or putting an outlet cover over it. Or, I could ditch that set up altogether and do something different. I went for the last option.


By putting the fireplace and bookshelves on the largest wall, I was able to space them out so they wouldn't be on top of each other, which actually makes the room look bigger because it isn't crowded.


It also meant I could "float" the sectional in the middle of the room. I was concerned whether this would work or not, since my sectional is pretty big. Once I laid down the area rug, though, I was sure it would fit fine. Here I put the sectional together without the armless chair, but I quickly realized I could add it to the sectional without any issues. Even so, I figured I could fit the sectional but probably not the chair and ottoman. I was wrong.


I put it just at the entry into the living room facing the sectional. I'd wanted it to face the tv, but I like it this way because it's more conducive to conversation.

Little by little the room began to take shape. This is what the living room looks like today, the warm and cozy room that is elegant while still welcoming.


Walking in from the entryway, the living room opens up to an inviting sectional with pillows and blankets for that cozy feel. The sliding glass doors have two sets of curtains; sheers under two-toned curtains which I had at our first house. These let in light during the day but cover everything up at night. I have the same coffee table with my Kirkland's pitcher and Walmart carnations. The Gather sign beyond invites everyone to come in and relax.


One of my biggest concerns was whether my bookshelf would fit in this living room. It had fit just fine in our first house, but that living room was bigger. It didn't fit in the living room in the townhouse, but that was okay because I put it in the den. I didn't want to have to sell this piece; it's a favorite of mine. Not to worry, though. It fits perfectly behind the sectional with plenty of room to walk, and the best part is that it covers up the holes for the tv cord so I didn't have to do anything to them. If I change my mind one day and decide I want to hang up my tv, I can do it on this wall. Though I don't see that happening any time soon.


I really, really like how this wall turned out. Not only because the fireplace, tv, and bookshelves fit so nicely, but because the high ceilings allowed me to layer decor above it. In the townhouse, I had the wall scroll over the television and it looked really nice. Whenever I was pulling out my decor, I found the sign that I'd bought from Hobby Lobby that says "Bless this home with love & laughter". In the townhouse I'd put this in the kitchen, but here I don't have any soffits to put it on like I did in the townhouse. As I looked around I wondered how it would look above the scroll. The answer? Perfect! The color of the letters matches the paint color, and the wood is almost identical to the wood color of the fireplace and bookshelves. It was like it was meant to be there! The wall with the clock took some time, because I wasn't sure if I wanted to put anything there, but once I put it up I knew it was just what that wall needed.

I'm so glad I decided to put this room together early. I didn't decorate it right away; I took care of setting up the bathrooms and kitchen first. But once the furniture was in, the echoing subsided and the warmth of our familiar furniture gave me the motivation to get everything done. This is probably my favorite room in the house - at least for now. Stay tuned, there's more to come. 

No comments: