Thursday, May 6, 2021

Moving In

After moving into our townhouse, I could only think of how happy I was once all the unpacking was done. I could focus on making our new little house into a home and not on all the boxes, bags, and plastic containers.

Yet, here we were once again.

First off, let me take you on a quick empty house tour, and a look at what our first day living here in our new home was like.


I love the front door to our new house. I love the arched transom window and the side window that let in lots of light. 


Straight ahead of the front door is a small hallway. To the right are the secondary bedrooms.


The living room is spacious. It's about 17' x 14', larger than the living room in the townhouse or even the family room in our old house. I'll admit I'm not a fan of all the gray in this room. The walls are gray, the tiles look like cement, but those things can be changed in time. I plan to live with it for awhile, but in the future I want to paint the walls a creamy warm white that matches my warm toned furniture better. The tiles are not my favorite but they are sort of a greige, so I think if I warm up the paint on the walls the flooring will warm up as well.


The dining area is right off the kitchen and to the left of the front door. It's not a dining room; the original plans call it a breakfast nook. It's pretty big though, more than enough space for what we need, and we certainly don't need a formal dining room. The large arched window lets in tons of light.


I should've taken a picture of the kitchen before we unloaded the car - oops! It doesn't seem like much here, but trust me, it's a very nice kitchen. It's large and comfortable to work in, and it even fits the kitchen island my daughter and son-in-law gifted me at Christmas which made me oh so happy!


The master bedroom is massive. At 18' x 12 1/2', it's the largest master bedroom I've ever had. It's surprising to me, because this house has less square footage than either our old house or the townhouse, but it's laid out so well that the house feels much bigger than it actually is. 


Quick pic of the master bedroom. It smelled nice and fresh. I was soon going to find out it wasn't. 


The master closet is bigger than the one I had at our first house, but smaller than the one at the townhouse. Either way, it's more than enough for my needs.


My son's bedroom. It's not very big, about the size of the bedroom he had at our old house. The ceiling fan will be replaced soon. He's not too fond of the blue blades and pink flowery pulls.


He's not upset about the bedroom being smaller, because the third bedroom is his office/music room. The fact that he has a whole "wing" of the house to himself makes up for the smaller rooms. That, and the bathroom.


Not that he needs them, but he has double sinks in his bathroom.


The tub and toilet are separate from the sink area, making this bathroom almost as big as the master bathroom. It's twice the size of the bathrooms in both our old houses.

The first day we arrived at the house at around 2:00 pm. The Pod hadn't arrived yet, and whenever I called the company they said the container was scheduled to arrive between 6:00 and 10:00 that night. We had no furniture, just the items that we'd brought in the car. So what did we do till the Pod arrived? 

First things first, we went in to use the bathrooms. After a long trip it's the first thing anyone wants to do. I went into the master bathroom, toilet paper in hand, thinking the bathrooms had been cleaned professionally so they should be spotless. Whenever I lifted the toilet cover, I found that someone had used the bathroom and hadn't flushed. Now, I suspect it was one of the children. The sellers have three young children, and well, kids are kids. They do things like that. What was upsetting to me is that these sellers paid over $150 to have this house cleaned, and it obviously was not.



The tile grout throughout the house was grimy and pretty disgusting. The previous owners had two large dogs and a cat that came in and out of the house constantly, and the floors showed it. The house smelled of kitty litter. It was bad. So they paid to have the floors professionally cleaned, as well as the cleaning crew that came in to clean the house. Well, the tile grout was scrubbed till it now looks like new. However, it was clear that they used machines to clean the floors, and these got the baseboards and corners filled with grimy dirt that neither the floor cleaners nor the cleaning crew did anything about. All around the house the baseboards were filthy, muddy and had pet hair caked on to them. It was vile.

After lunch my son and I headed to Lowe's. There were two things I wanted to buy immediately: new toilet seats and some sort of cleaner. The toilet seats were double what I would have paid if I'd ordered them from Amazon, but I didn't want to wait till Monday to get my order. There was no way I was going to use those old, nasty looking toilet seats. I bought a bottle of Method all purpose cleaner to start the real cleaning process. My son decided he was exhausted and needed a nap. There were some blankets and his pillow, so he made himself a make-shift bed on the floor. I, on the other hand, got down on my hands and knees, and for the next several hours I scrubbed baseboards. There was nothing else to do in the house; no furniture to sit down on, no internet connections, nothing to distract me from looking at the dirt. It kept me busy till the Pod arrived.

And thankfully it arrived around 7:30 pm. Unfortunately, the driver had a hard time getting it unloaded, so that while it was still light outside whenever he got there, it was dark by the time he left. Here it was, 8:30 at night, and we were unloading beds, mattresses, and bedding so we could get our beds set up. It took another couple of hours before we were done and ready to hit the sack. We couldn't even shower; I hadn't cleaned the bathrooms because all my bathroom cleaners were in the Pod. I didn't care. I was too tired to care. All I wanted was to get a good night's sleep, because the next day was going to be a busy one.

But that's a post for another day. See y'all soon!

No comments: