Friday, September 4, 2009

What Does My Child Want?

When I was a boy in my father's house,
still tender, and an only child of my mother,
he taught me and said,
"Lay hold of my words with all your heart;
keep my commands and you will live.
Get wisdom, get understanding;
do not forget my words or swerve from them.
Do not forsake wisdom, and she will protect you;
love her, and she will watch over you.
Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom.
Though it cost all you have, get understanding.


- Proverbs 4:3-7

We've heard the story of how Solomon, when asked by the Lord what he wanted, instead of asking for riches or fame, Solomon asked for wisdom.

Solomon answered God, "You have shown great kindness to David my father and have made me king in his place. Now, LORD God, let your promise to my father David be confirmed, for you have made me king over a people who are as numerous as the dust of the earth. Give me wisdom and knowledge, that I may lead this people, for who is able to govern this great people of yours?"

God said to Solomon, "Since this is your heart's desire and you have not asked for wealth, riches or honor, nor for the death of your enemies, and since you have not asked for a long life but for wisdom and knowledge to govern my people over whom I have made you king, therefore wisdom and knowledge will be given you. And I will also give you wealth, riches and honor, such as no king who was before you ever had and none after you will have." (1 Chronicles 1:8-12).


God, pleased by this request, granted him what he asked plus what he didn't ask. We admire Solomon's request; such a mature young man! How did he know to ask for wisdom instead of riches?

Solomon answers that question himself, in Proverbs 4:3-7. When he was but a small child, his father told him repeatedly to get wisdom. He made it clear that wisdom was more important than any amount of money: "Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding." (v.7). This was something Solomon heard from his father David so often, that when His Heavenly Father asked what he wanted, he automatically requested what his earthly father had taught him to treasure: wisdom.

What do we teach our children to desire? When a father is always admiring the new cars his neighbors have, the new pool installed by the guy down the street, the promotion and pay raise everyone else is getting at the job, he shouldn't be surprised when his son desires to make lots and lots of money. When a mother puts down other girls because they aren't pretty enough or dress in expensive clothes or get their hair and nails done every week, she can expect her daughter to be superficial. What our children hear from us day to day, whether directly or indirectly, tells them what we think is important, and consequently it's what becomes important to them. What if we told our children everyday that the most important relationship they'll ever have is with Jesus? What if we tell them we want them to be followers of Jesus all their lives? What if we model that lifestyle to them? David let his son Solomon know what was truly important; are we doing the same?

No comments: