This is the boy's room now! This is what happened: When I measured the floors to figure out the square footage, I made sure I over-measured rather than under-measure. This would guarantee that I would purchase enough flooring and not have to run to the store to buy more. Then, as an additional precaution, I added 5% to my total for damages and scrap. I calculated that 42 boxes of flooring were needed, so I purchased 44 boxes. Just as my brother-in-law was finishing up, he measured and told me we would be short about 2 boxes. I was puzzled; I couldn't figure out where I'd gone wrong. The closets, maybe? Rather than double-check his measurements, I assumed he was right and purchased another 3 boxes (again figuring it better to buy more than less). As we neared the end, it was apparent that HIS measurements had been off - a total of 40 boxes of flooring were used. Now we had 7 boxes of flooring left over. My hubby asked if we had enough to do the kid's rooms. After measuring I told him we had enough to do one of the bedrooms. So the decision was made, and we went ahead and did the boy's room.
The reason we chose to do this, was because the flooring in the kid's rooms was of very poor quality, and it was badly scratched. I tried all kinds of products to get the scuff marks and scratches out, but laminate isn't like hardwood. The floors were only about 7 years old but they looked terrible, especially against the new shiny floors right outside the bedrooms. Since the flooring was still on sale, hubby decided we may as well do the whole job, so off I went and purchased an additional 7 boxes and did the daughter's room as well.
This is the formal living room (the view from the front door):