Sunday, February 28, 2010

Surprise! More New Floors

Last year, I went to work painting the kid's rooms and took some pictures after all was done. Here you can just make out the floors, which were a light maple that matched the bedroom furniture. We had taken out the rugs a few years earlier and put in laminate floors in a color a little lighter than I'd hoped for, but it looked so much better than what was there before I didn't mind very much.

This is the boy's room now! This is what happened: When I measured the floors to figure out the square footage, I made sure I over-measured rather than under-measure. This would guarantee that I would purchase enough flooring and not have to run to the store to buy more. Then, as an additional precaution, I added 5% to my total for damages and scrap. I calculated that 42 boxes of flooring were needed, so I purchased 44 boxes. Just as my brother-in-law was finishing up, he measured and told me we would be short about 2 boxes. I was puzzled; I couldn't figure out where I'd gone wrong. The closets, maybe? Rather than double-check his measurements, I assumed he was right and purchased another 3 boxes (again figuring it better to buy more than less). As we neared the end, it was apparent that HIS measurements had been off - a total of 40 boxes of flooring were used. Now we had 7 boxes of flooring left over. My hubby asked if we had enough to do the kid's rooms. After measuring I told him we had enough to do one of the bedrooms. So the decision was made, and we went ahead and did the boy's room.


The reason we chose to do this, was because the flooring in the kid's rooms was of very poor quality, and it was badly scratched. I tried all kinds of products to get the scuff marks and scratches out, but laminate isn't like hardwood. The floors were only about 7 years old but they looked terrible, especially against the new shiny floors right outside the bedrooms. Since the flooring was still on sale, hubby decided we may as well do the whole job, so off I went and purchased an additional 7 boxes and did the daughter's room as well.

Of course the bedrooms aren't completed; we still need to get the baseboard installed and everything put away. God willing, that will be done tomorrow. In the meantime, enjoy some pictures of the finished products in the rest of our living areas.

This is the formal living room (the view from the front door):

The formal living room (opposite view):

The dining room:

The family room:

As the work is completed, I'll have additional pictures. Meantime, I think I'll rest a bit today. It's been alot of work, but I'm enjoying the new look of my home very much! It's so warm and inviting; makes me wanna stick around for a long time!

2 comments:

Kristi said...

How beautiful! It really does give it a different look doesn't it? I think it looks much softer and more cozier now. I think you are right about the color too, the cherry wouldn't have looked as nice with your walls and furniture.

Mrs. O said...

Looks good! I especially like the white sweat sock in my niece's room! hahaha