Monday, May 4, 2020

2017 - Finishing Off The Year - Love is in the Air?

There was a lot to do in September and even into October. Hurricane Irma left plenty of work for us, not only on our own property but at the church as well. My son E was able to help pick up branches and debris so we could have services start up right away. Thankfully at the house we only had one day and one night without power, so inside there wasn't anything that needed to be taken care of. Outside there were trees and branches to chop up so the bulk trash could be picked up, and coconuts all over the yard that needed to be removed as well. Once that was done we moved on to taking down the shutters. It was a lot of hard manual labor, but when we saw the pictures of the destruction caused by Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico, we gave thanks to God that things hadn't been worse. We also praise Him because my family on the island were all safe, though their recovery would be long and arduous.

One big change that came about during that time happened to my daughter A, and it would be a big change for all of us. My daughter had made a promise to the Lord as a teenager that she would wait for Him to bring the man He wanted her to marry. Now she was 27 years old and had never had an official boyfriend. As she watched many of her friends get married or engaged, she wondered if maybe God's will for her was to stay single. So while she was in Israel she went to the Wailing Wall, where Hannah had prayed and asked for a son. There she asked the Lord show her the man He had chosen for her to marry, but if it was His will for her to remain single, that He would take away any desire for marriage. Leaving her future in God's hands, she left in peace just as Hannah had done centuries ago.

When she got back she discussed with a few of her "still single" friends her experiences in Israel, and the conversation turned to online dating. They went back and forth whether this was a good idea and teasingly dared each other to be the guinea pig. My daughter decided she would sign up on a Christian dating site and give it a couple of months to see if it was legit. They all agreed to watch over her and make sure she was safe.

Now, I won't lie. I was not in favor of online dating. The thought of it scared me quite frankly. But she was a 27 year old, an adult, and while I could tell her my opinion I could not make her do what I wanted. It was time for me to put my daughter's future in God's hands as well.

She went out with a couple of guys but was quickly disillusioned. Almost at the point of accepting defeat and admitting it was a mistake, she decided to give it one last try. Three strikes you're out, right? This would be her third and last try, then she'd cancel her account and let her friends know it was a bust. Just a week before Hurricane Irma hit, she answered a guy who'd sent her a message almost a month before but who she'd never gotten back to.

Interestingly enough, the young man she contacted hadn't had a girlfriend since high school. He also signed up with the dating service, went on a couple of dates that didn't pan out, and was also about to close his account when A sent him a message. They began chatting about - what else - Hurricane Irma and all the preparations being made. From there they talked about all kinds of topics - church, school, video games. They had a lot in common: the same interests, the same beliefs, the same values. The more they talked the more they wanted to talk and the more they found they had in common. It wasn't long before they decided to meet up and have dinner.

I'm so thankful for all her friends who were on full alert, ready to rescue her if the guy turned out to be a loser, or worse! But they didn't have to worry. He was an absolute gentleman. We met him in October, and in November he came over for Thanksgiving dinner. By then they'd made it official, they were in a courtship. God proved to me that when I leave things in His capable hands, I can rest assured that He is in complete control.

The rest of the year went on without a hitch. Despite the hurricane and my son moving away, 2017 was a calm year. My son was happy living in Central Florida and was doing very well at his job. For my 55th birthday we went to see Tenth Avenue North in concert and had a wonderful time. We celebrated and praised God for His blessings. I especially thanked Him because even in the storm He had blessed me, and 2017 had been a year of rest. It was then that I sensed in my heart the Holy Spirit telling me to get ready, because 2018 was going to be a rough ride. Heaven help me!

No comments: