Monday, May 25, 2020

2019 When God Closes A Door (Part 2)

In a previous post, I showed the dining room makeover I did in 2016-2017. I turned this room into an elegant showcase by gel staining the furniture and updating the cushions on the chairs. I'd already upgraded the lighting fixture, and now it all became cohesive.



The lighting fixture was purchased back in 2013 from Costco. The runner is from the Hearth and Hand collection at Target. The candlesticks in the first picture I've had for many years, and the rest of the table centerpiece is from Walmart. I just took a mason jar and filled it with flowers. In the second picture I put a pitcher I found on clearance at Target and added Dollar Tree flowers. I have found that fake flowers in white typically look the most realistic, though there are some colorful ones that look good too. I didn't add a rug because I didn't want to cover the wood floors.

The next room on my list was the family room. After my son R moved to Central Florida and took the recliners, I decided to get a new sectional. I had purchased one from Costco which I showed in my post on the living room makeover,  but I wanted something smaller. Unfortunately the ones at Costco were the wrong color. I'm not a fan of grey, especially dark grey. I like some grey accents but not anything that overwhelms the room. Of course I didn't want to spend thousands of dollars, either. I know I could've looked for something second hand, but I took a different route: Amazon. I had been looking at different options and going over hundreds of reviews, and I found a sectional that was simple and neutral, so I could fit it into my decor. The prices for furniture on Amazon can fluctuate from one day to the next, so I had to keep my eyes on a couple of options that I liked. Finally, one of the sectionals went down to $645, and I quickly placed my order. There were all kinds of issues with delivery, but I finally received it in September 2017. It went from the living room to the family room as I decided which sectional would go in which room, but I found it looked and fit best in the family room.


The artwork above the sectional was a clearance item I found at Kirkland's. The original price was $135; it was marked down to $23.95, but with my coupon I was able to score it for just under $20.00. I love the colors and the pier overlooking the sunset. The coffee table I've had since 2004. Originally it was all one color, but after having stained the dining room furniture I decided to stain this table top as well. It changed the look completely and made it look more elegant. The side table is part of the set that is in the living room. It didn't fit in the living room with the sectional there, so I put it in the family room where it could serve a purpose. The rug was from Walmart, but it had to be replaced. Our sweet Molly would sleep on it and the rug would get caught in her nails and snag. I picked up a nice rug at Costco for $40 that works just fine.


The television set and stand that were in the family room originally belonged to my son R, and he took them with him when he moved. So, I turned to my two favorite places to make my big ticket item purchases. I bought the television set on sale at Costco, and found the TV stand on Amazon. They were our family Christmas presents that year. I also bought the DVD cabinet on the right from Amazon, and it provided extra storage.

What I liked most about the three rooms was how well they flowed together, and I wanted this theme of casual elegance to continue. Up next: the kitchen! See ya soon!

No comments: