Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Let's Take A Tour - The Master Bathroom

 In my old house the master bathroom was remodeled and updated back in 2009. I did several posts on it and the final reveal is here. I loved the finishes I'd selected, but the bathroom always seemed an odd space to me. Whenever you walked in, there were two walk-in closets, one to the right and one to the left. Once inside, the vanity was on the left, the toilet and bidet were on the right, and straight ahead was the garden tub/shower. In the middle of this was a large, empty space. While it was nice to have a large bathroom, it was a lot of wasted space. The bidet was almost never used. A stand up shower would have been a much better choice, and there was more than enough room for it. We remodeled this bathroom out of necessity: the tiles around the tub started to fall out. After months of going back and forth with the insurance company we finally got a settlement, but it wasn't enough to do major remodeling. We put in all new tile and a new vanity but kept everything else where it was. 

When the time came to find my new home, I didn't give the master bathroom much thought. I wanted it to be functional, of course, and pretty, if possible. I hoped I could have a garden tub again - while I only take showers, I like the size of the garden tub. More than anything, I hoped it would already be remodeled. I knew I could afford to have it redone, but I didn't want to spend money on it. God heard my heart, and boy did He deliver!

The door to the master bathroom is a pocket door, just like every other master bathroom I've had here in Florida. I like the tile in the bathrooms. It isn't the same tile as in the rest of the house; this tile is in both bathrooms and the entryway, and it's a tan color. 

The sage green color from the master bedroom continues in the bathroom, and since it's a favorite color of mine I decided to use some of my old decor and incorporate new items using this lovely color as well. The shower curtain is from Target. I was able to buy it with a gift card I received from my church back home on my last day there. It was such a sweet surprise, and so appreciated. I also got the small square rug at Target. I want to change that out eventually, since it's kind of small for the space.

I know this vanity and mirror don't follow the current trend of white and gray everything, but it is exactly what I would have chosen. I love rich, dark wood tones. This comes off a little more orange than it is in real life. I love the oil rubbed bronze fixtures, and the handles are the same ones I had in my kitchen at the old house. I kept the decor on here very simple: hand soap, a lotion dispenser I picked up at Ross for $4.99, and everything else is from my old house. The wooden tray was a gift from a neighbor. The candleholders are from Walmart and the green candles (which I already had) were a clearance item at Target. The little green vase is actually a votive holder I found at the Target dollar spot a couple of years ago, and yes, it too is sage green. The round mirror is from Walmart, I believe.

 

Above the towel holder are two wall art pieces that I've had for about 20 years. I got these at Burlington Coat Factory, and for years they hung in my dining room. There was no place for them in my new dining room, but I was thrilled when I saw how perfectly they looked here in my bathroom (notice the green stems on the flowers - sensing a theme here). The hand towels I got from Costco. Their towels are the best, and the prices can't be beat for the quality.

Y'all, whenever I walked into this bathroom I did a double take. A garden tub! I did not think I would actually find a house with a garden tub. It made me so happy!

I also love this little potty room (Haha, yes I know, it's called a water closet. I think potty room sounds more fun)! I really like the layout of this master bathroom. It's much smaller than my old bathroom, but the space is used so efficiently that there is space to move and plenty of privacy. I looked all over Pinterest to see how I wanted to decorate this area. I wanted some decor, but nothing over the top since it is such a small space.

I already had the towels from my old house, and the colors worked perfectly, but when I put the old artwork that I'd used in my old bathroom the color was completely wrong. I knew I wanted something to replace it, but I hadn't decided what. Hobby Lobby made the decision for me. This white washed basket with the metal flower in the middle (yes, that's sage green) was on clearance for $11.24 - regular price was $45! The minute I saw it I knew exactly where I wanted it. Originally I put it above the toilet, but this is where I intended for it to go. I needed some type of storage for above the toilet, but I didn't want a storage cabinet. I decided open shelving would be a much better option.

I found this shelf, complete with brackets, at Ross for $16.99! I couldn't believe how well the wood matched the vanity - it looks like it's part of a set! I picked up the planter the same day for $6.99, and it completed the look. I can't wait to decorate this shelf for fall!

On the wall opposite the vanity is a set of mirrored doors - perfect for checking out my outfit before I leave the house! Behind these doors is the master closet.



I picked up the wood board with the hooks at Ross for, I believe, $12. The laundry basket is from Costco. The shoe rack is from Amazon. Most everything else came with me from the old house.

It is a very nice size closet, with more than enough room for my clothes and storage. It's a room I would like to tackle in the future, though. The racks are the same sticky vinyl that was in the laundry closet, and while these aren't in as bad shape, they aren't in the best shape either. Plus, the room isn't being utilized well. I would love to put in a closet system with shelves and drawers, but that will probably wait till next year, after I complete a few other projects. 

We are coming to the end of the tour! The next room is the guest bathroom, a small but cute room with lots of potential. See you soon!

No comments: