Sunday, August 30, 2020

The Week In Review

Years ago I kept a log of what had gone on during my week. I'd been thinking about whether or not I wanted to start it up again, and finally decided I'd give it a shot. Here's a snapshot of the past week.

My son E had his first full week of college. He graduated high school (homeschool) two years ago, but couldn't decide what he wanted to do. I know many kids go off to college and begin studying only to change majors several times or leave before finishing. I wanted E to be a bit more sure of what he wanted to do before starting. He finally decided he'd like to try digital arts so that eventually he can go into gaming. I like the idea that digital arts includes many different employment possibilities for the future so he doesn't have to feel stuck if he decides to try something else. He's doing mostly gen ed's now which he isn't thrilled about but it's part of school. All his classes are online - which is what he did all throughout high school so he's adapting well. So far, anyway. It's only been a week.

I ordered a couple of dresses off of Amazon. I usually prefer going to an actual store and trying things out, but that isn't possible right now with the pandemic. Since I've ordered dresses from them before I decided to go with styles and sizes I'd bought in the past, a style I like because it's comfortable while still pretty.


I wanted some fall color dresses now that we're coming into September, even though here in Florida it won't feel like fall for a couple of months yet. The dresses were both from Amazon but from two different companies. I was most excited and most disappointed with the one on the right. I love the burgundy color and the flowers, and the dress fits great, but it's missing one key component: it doesn't have pockets! I'd bought this style of dress before, though from a different company, and it has pockets. The dress on the left, black with those gorgeous shades of orange and rust flowers, also has pockets. I went back and looked at the description and it doesn't say that it has pockets, so it was just my assumption. I'm keeping the dress because it really is pretty. The fabric is 95% rayon and 5% spandex, giving it a t-shirt kind of feel, nice and light for our Florida weather. 

Before we moved to this new house I purged a lot of my decor because I was downsizing and I knew I wasn't going to need as much stuff (or have anywhere to put it). What I had was good enough for last fall, but now that I have the office/guest room completed, I knew I wanted to add a few items to my fall decor. I went to the Dollar Tree and TJ Maxx on Monday. TJ Maxx offers 10% off on Mondays to anyone 55 and older, and I love taking advantage of that deal.

Since there were two separate living spaces in our old house, a formal living room and a family room, I was able to have two different color schemes for my fall decorations. Both were in the modern farmhouse style, but the living room was done in cool tones of blues and greens while the family room had the traditional oranges and rusts. Whenever we found this house with its sage green accent walls I decided to keep the cool toned decor and declutter the traditional items. It looked really nice but I miss the traditional colors and wanted to incorporate some into my decor again. One of the easiest (and most inexpensive) ways to do this is with florals - Dollar Tree florals to be precise. I love that I can find gorgeous flowers in all different colors at the Dollar Tree without spending a whole lot of money. Here is what I picked up for $11.00:


This is more than just a cute little Hello Autumn sign. It's my color scheme. It does just what I wanted to do: mixed traditional orange with cool blues and greens. The orange is a little lighter than the traditional orange, perhaps, but it works. I used this as a jumping off point to pick my florals:


Light oranges and yellows are so beautiful this time of year! Our trees don't turn all the vibrant colors like they do up north; some do, but not till after Thanksgiving. This lets me bring those colors into the home, and they look so pretty against the cool blue of the blanket.


For the dining room I decided on a darker, richer, more formal color. These are even darker in person, more like a burgundy than dark rust color. I know they will stand out against the lighter colors in the house.

At TJ Maxx I scored some throw pillows that were $19.99 for the pair.


I had seen these in the store about a month ago. I'd even put them in my buggy, but then I put them back because it was an impulse buy and I'm trying not to purchase things that way. I knew the colors would be perfect, but I couldn't remember what I already had in my decor stash for fall. This time I went to TJ Maxx knowing that I wanted a couple more pillows either for the sectional in the living room or for the futon in the office. I was so glad I found these again - they were the last ones! These are great quality pillows, and the covers are removable so I can throw them in the wash if need be. They ended up being $9.99 each which is a steal, and the colors work with all my other decor.

On Thursday, after grocery shopping, I stopped by our local Dollar General. Believe it or not, I've never been in a Dollar General, but I saw Mrs. Falon from Moss Family TV on YouTube do a small decor haul of Dollar General items and I figured I'd go take a look. Our Dollar General had half an aisle's worth of fall decor that had already been picked over, so I was not impressed. I picked up these two little pumpkins...


...but I decided it's not worth going out of my way to go to Dollar General when Dollar Tree is closer and had a better selection. They were $2 each, one for my house and one for my daughter.

And those are this week's highlights. Off for some rest to prepare for the new week. God bless y'all.

No comments: